New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

Hello, I'm nitewalker11. I recently stumbled upon this site, and UDK, And I can't wait to get started with it.

I've been playing video games since I could walk, and I'm now in high school, a sophmore. I've always enjoyed the "Create mode" of any game, and I've spent the last year and a half perfecting my creative ability on the game LittleBigPlanet, on PS3, however I'm ready to take the next step towards being a game designer.

Since my home computer can't run UDK, I'm buying a laptop for it. What is necessary to run UDK, and what would you all suggest to make it run better? Also, how expensive would all of these thing be? I'm hoping to keep it under $500, but that's a bit idealistic. Thanks in advance!

Well I can only speak for my own desktop rig, but it's an older Dell Dimension 9150, dual-core Pentium IV 3.2 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8800gtx 768Mb, 2 TB combined HD space, Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3. I utilize a swarm setup with 2 additional machines, neither of which can run the UDK editor to any degree of satisfaction, but swarm agent rendering performs just fine.

UDK runs nicely, but I'm probably a little short on RAM - 4-6Gb seems to be the recommended minimum, and a quad-core or better processor would likely offer great improvement as well.

Unfortunately I think it'll be difficult if not impossible to find a laptop with those specs in a price range that mere mortals can hope for, though I could be wrong.

Comment

Using laptops for content creation, most people find to be a bad idea. You'll be spending hours upon hours at this computer, do you want it to be a laptop? Especially at the much higher expense to get higher end hardware in a laptop?

Comment

Well now that you've all said othewise I might just get a Desktop instead. Thanks anyway.

Comment

I'd recommend getting at least a quad-core with 4GB of ram and a NVIDIA 9000 Series or better graphics card. My personal setup is the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with 12GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, three-way SLI cards NVIDIA GTX 460 and four 21" flat-screen LCD displays. And after the money I spent on it I'm not upgrading for quite some time XD

Comment

How much money would you need to just be able to run it, a build a decent game? I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars, and I can't exactly afford it either.

Comment

I bought an Hp with a qaud core and 4gigs and win7 64bit for $450 last December. Added a Nvidia 9500 card for another $50. It does everything and light building is very fast.
              I also have an old P4 Xp machine with a 1gig and an older ATI card and it would run everything fine but light building was slow.
              I also have an older Dell XPS laptop that crashes on any UDK version newer than May. I suspect the graphics card is out of date. Wish I could upgrade it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohNLA View Post
                I bought an Hp with a qaud core and 4gigs and win7 64bit for $450 last December. Added a Nvidia 9500 card for another $50. It does everything and light building is very fast.
                I also have an old P4 Xp machine with a 1gig and an older ATI card and it would run everything fine but light building was slow.
                I also have an older Dell XPS laptop that crashes on any UDK version newer than May. I suspect the graphics card is out of date. Wish I could upgrade it.
                Ah, thank you. I'm looking around and your setup seems pretty good, I might get something like that. Thanks for the help

Comment

Ah, a common misconception on buying computers/gaming rigs (I've built my computer to handle games and games development, because I might as well be able to play my games, right?), is that they need to be in the thousands of dollars range. They're only thousands of dollars if you're unfortunate enough to buy it from a retail seller (such as Domayne, or **** Smiths, or Officeworks). If you buy all the parts yourself, and build it, or even pay a local PC shop to build it, it will still turn out to be 50% cheaper than to buy it off shelf.

For example, my original PC (since upgraded) was a Quad Core (Q6600) system with 2GB of RAM, 650W PSU, non-SLI mobo and a single NVidia 8600GT cost me about $900. This was about 3 years ago, so since then the parts should be much cheaper now. Although at the time, you could go into a major retailer and buy the same system, exact same specs, for $2,500 at least. You may argue that they come with a monitor and Keyboard and Mouse and an OS, but if you buy a separate screen (24" go for about 250 these days), and the OS separately (about $125 for an OEM version of Windows 7 (about $500 from a retailer(in Australia, anyway))) and 50 for the kb/mouse at most, it still works out to be $1,325 which is a little over half the price of the retailers PC.

I want to note that these prices are worked out from the Australian dollar, so you guys in america could be paying less than that, depends on where you buy.

Comment

I would vote on a desktop hands down with a large screen. Your going to be pouring your life into this PC - making it suck, makes your life suck. 1:1 ratio.

If your buying in Canada -> http://www.canadacomputers.com/ is the way to go.

Comment

Polaris is right about a large screen. I have two screens, one 26" and one 24" (due to lack of desk space), and I can say it's great having a big screen.

Edit

From Australia, http://www.mwave.com.au/ if you can't find a PC fair.

Comment

Working...
                      X