Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Partitioning HD

Hi, quick question about partitioning maybe u guys could help me with

I have got xp/vista set up currently in dual boot on seperate HD's (2×500GB). I would like to create a new partition on the vista HD were i can place all my UDK files. Is it ok to just shrink the volume of the vista drive and setup a new volume for the UDK files without effecting my boot?. (i.e. if i do this will it cause any problems booting into xp etc... ?)

Im pretty sure im safe to do this without it causing any problems, however i'd just like to check as it would be a pain if it prevented booting into xp and i lost my files.

Thanks, Bodkin.

While it is certainly possible to shrink the Vista drive you have to keep in mind one of Vista's (and Windows 7's) "features". (/rant on) In your Windows directory you'll find a directory called winsxs that keeps growing and growing and growing during your system's lifetime - and you cannot clean it up as Windows needs the content for backwards compatibility. By my last check on my laptop it had grown to 7Gb. With that in mind, leave plenty of space for your system drive - say 50 Gb or so, as by the time it has grown to that size it will more than likely be time to reinstall your system due to the slowdowns and registry errors that Windows is so excellent at producing over time. (/rant off :P)

Comment

mikesdk,

WinSXS is a folder full of hard links to the actual DLLs that are stored on your system. Mine reports being around 6gigs, but the 6gigs of that are actually in use in other places on the system, not in WinSXS. It also removes hardlinks to any files within WinSXS when they are deleted from your system through Explorer or Uninstall.

bodkin,

I can't see any particular need for a partition solely for UDK ..

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
        mikesdk,

WinSXS is a folder full of hard links to the actual DLLs that are stored on your system. Mine reports being around 6gigs, but the 6gigs of that are actually in use in other places on the system, not in WinSXS. It also removes hardlinks to any files within WinSXS when they are deleted from your system through Explorer or Uninstall.
        That may be, it may not, I can just see my system partition running lower and lower on free space, while WinSXS keeps ever growing, and I dont install applications to that particular partition.

Comment

K i did it in the end and everything worked out ok

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
          I can't see any particular need for a partition solely for UDK ..
          Yea, the main use i want it for is to backup my files ive created with the UDK, not solely for UDK but general docs, pics n stuff, that way i can reboot the OS or make it easier for when i decide to upgrade to windows 7.

Comment

Working...
          X