Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Free Lunches! Put your money where your mouth is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey if you want to design something, I'd be happy to help with building it, but I'm currently doing 3 different jobs.

Comment

If there's a project coming my way and I gain by helping out, then **** yeah I'm gonna do it for free. I'll even throw in a free handjob.. I got my current job because I did free work (and A LOT of handjobs). Why shoot yourself in the foot like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
        Hey if you want to design something, I'd be happy to help with building it, but I'm currently doing 3 different jobs.
        And by building - what do you mean? are you a web developer?

Comment

I know some PHP, SQL, HTML, a bit of JavaScript, etc. But i'm terrible with design, just look at http://www.landofthedeadmatchmaking.com/

Comment

I Really think a lot of people aren't really considering game development as a way of creating money but just as an hobby. So it might be the reason they don't want to pay anybody. I'm an artist and I don't want to join a team to depend on someone else project. I think if you believe in your project invest money on it because nobody will do the same for you. Royalty thing can work for student and such but I don't really think it's the way the go if you don't know the person you are working with.

Comment

Well for me Id rather work completely for free then royalty, why is that you ask? Because game projects, especially most of the ones looking to recruit arnt small and take years to complete most of the time. If it were a smaller project Id consider royalty more closely but otherwise I wouldnt at all. Im going to be working for free with no income from the project from start to finish anyway so the damage is done. If someone really wants to offer me what my time is worth on a project Id ask for stock options, either that or they pay me a decent hourly rate

I dont mind that theres hobbyists out there but I really do think theres a point where you say enough is enough. I do think alot of people out there will take as much advantage of people as they can and give little in return, its a shame but it even happens to people being paid. Theres alot of instances in game development history where workers have been treated poorly, under paid, both or not paid entirely for projects they completed.

Comment

Something I've gained by paying concept artists is that I feel comfortable telling them to go back and change something when i need it to fit the style, and that creative control over the assets. As an artist thats really important. I know the difference between good quality and bad quality art, textures etc so I think my strongest way to get my design into production is through focusing on those talents and strengthening the assets around my project.

Comment

Working...
                X