Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Update?

Hi,
    I have been wondering how I update to the new version of UDK as I am currently using UDK-2010-03 and I want to update to the latest version (UDK-2010-07).

So how do I update? Do I just uninstall the current one and install the new or install over the old or what?

Do I just uninstall the current one and install the new or install over the old or what?
    Yea, that's pretty much it. But you need to back up any files you created or modified in the UDK folder. And after reinstall, if you modified any ini or uc files before, I recommend re-editing the new ini files based on the backups instead of overwriting them. Seems tedious but it's 10 minute routine.

Comment

You don't need to uninstall the old one. You can just install to a new location and delete the old one later when you have gotten the new version working.
      Personally I just copy all my script files, maps, models and other custom content into the new UDK installation and the proceed to update the relevant ini files. You can't overwrite the new ini files with the old, as they often are changed between versions and all sorts of weird stuff happens if you overwrite them. You therefore have to edit by hand.

Comment

Beware though, they've made it increasingly harder to update since they change out sections of the INI each month without warning. It's tedious to do the INI dance every month, but it's the price you pay for constant updates + free

Comment

Install the new one make sure everything works fine copy your projects over and uninstall the old version if you feel like it.

Me i have May June and July installed incase something goes wrong in the newest version but i do have about
          6 2TBs hardrives sitting on my desk

Comment

Ok now i have the latest verstion
            Thanks for the help everyone and I will remember to update more often

Comment

You really don't need to update that often imo and it becomes quite a pain if you have a lot of assets and configs.
              Just read the release notes and decide if you need the new update or not.

Comment

Working...
              X