Updating UDK games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating UDK games?

My Question is , if i make a game and fix a bug every week, how should i update that game?
    Do i need to write my own updater or does the user need to reinstall it?

You can just collect all the files which you modified (scripts, packages etc.), and then put them in a folder with the same hierarchy as the cooked game. Then using either winRAR, or 7-zip, or a custom installer like NSIS, you can create a self extracting installer and give that to your users.

Then the user simply has to select where he installed your game, and all updates will be applied. This is the same way patches for UT3 were released.

Comment

You can even make an autoinstaller Patcher (it just extract the files into your directory of the game).

Comment

ah yes, i thought about that too, but i just wanted to ask if UDk has a buildin function for that.
        Thanks

Comment

Oh, and also !

If you want, you can apply Microsoft Visual Studio (or justly Visual Express) in your update program - it's will more comfortable for users - at example, you can make auto-"upgrading" program, that can itself upload content without downloading every last update from your site...

Comment

Working...
          X