Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is planned improvment of support for larger outdoor? -Imho the biggest problem of UN.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is planned improvment of support for larger outdoor? -Imho the biggest problem of UN.

Hi all,
    I would like to use UDK for your project, but support of outdoors is very bad. In my experience (in March or earlier release), the editor when working with larger terrain level (3x2 kilometer) and only maps saving takes maybe a minute and light generation and the worst quality of the hour.

Between the sectors is impossible change code parameters (afaik) and letting the enemy move easily between sectors, plus I think the sectors still must, be defined in one big map. Moreover, thanks to this is not possible good outlook (view distance) and must use a stupid fog. Simple tool Unity havent such sort of problem, big island works properly.

I think this lack also prevents attempts to MMO in Unreal, create game as Oblivion or Fallout are in Unreal impossible.. Small Mass Effect levels look as bad joke.

Therefore, I ask if Epic plan a significant improvement in this area, because otherwise I'll have to look for another engine, which have majority of features worse, but big map is possible.

Edit: Streaming volumes are not the solution, it is an emergency solution, in addition according to the documentation last upgraded in 2007. Unreal is in general nice technology all, but some things are as from stones age. It looks that Epic is affraid touch this old code.
    Actors transfer between levels is done very poorly.
    Streaming also have to working inside editor for basic work in 1 big map.

Did you do streaming levels?

Also do you have a swarm or only 1 pc rendering the large map? What obstructions to view do you use in your map? Almost no maps can just have flat land with unlimited views, at least none that I have seen and had them be good for fps, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Exetus View Post
      Did you do streaming levels?

Also do you have a swarm or only 1 pc rendering the large map? What obstructions to view do you use in your map? Almost no maps can just have flat land with unlimited views, at least none that I have seen and had them be good for fps, etc.
      I saw Oblivion, Morrowind, WoW, WAR, AoC, MO (Mortal Online). While WoW, WAR and AoC are splited in zones, those zones are still huge, at least for unreal it's something between 512 and 1024 terrain.

I have to agree that terrain is biggest problem of unreal by now. It's quite obslote and simply do not fite large outdoor maps by default (which means without writing your own terrain system from scratch).

Another problem is tezturing which is completly unfriedly and need tons of work and planing ahead. And at last when you come with changes you need to make lots of thing again.

As far as i can tell there someone metion on forums that some guy in Epic mention (eh), they are going to make completly new terrain. Although nothing else is know.

Comment

Exploiting the maximum and zoning would simulate the effect really well, just use streaming of the max-sized levels and you're good.

Also, if it's possible to do such a thing in Java, the most top-heavy programming environment on the planet (I'm looking at you, RuneScape), then it's sure as hell possible in Unreal.

Comment

The Unreal Engine is heavily restricted by its float data type which is used for vector components. When a value becomes larger, regardless of sign, it starts losing precision on the less significant digits. That effect begins to affect slower movement somewhere above +/-100000UU. As you gain distance from the origin, the effect increases, up to the point where slow movement isn't possible at all anymore.

The only good way around that would be to upgrade the float type to double, but that would slow things down

Comment

I've seen some fairly monstrously sized terrains in UT04 and UT3..

There is a revamp in the Terrain system (the Landscape system), but from what I hear from people who've tried playing with it in the June/July builds, it's really not ready for prime time yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
              I've seen some fairly monstrously sized terrains in UT04 and UT3..
              Yes but no way they erer done on default terrain system from unreal. It's simply not made to support huge pices of terrain. Let's say it lack of very important feature like terrain occluding. You always render entire terrain no matter you cant se half of it. While the triangles should be automatically culled.

Comment

What? In UE2, if you had an occluder setup, terrain quads would not be rendered if they were behind it from your point of view. Pretty sure that's same in UE3, but the occlusion is automatic ..

Comment

From what i have seen terrain is alawyas rendered as single mesh, and can't be occluded partially. Just like other meshes.
                  It also do not self-occluding (cliffs, mountains).

Comment

It's not really well suited for that type of thing, anyway, although that hasn't stopped people from doing it..

Comment

Yes it is not. But when yu have access to source code, nothing really stop you to write this part on your own.

Comment

right, but i'm just sayin, that it seems to me better to model things like mountains and cliffs in some other program, unless you enjoy having your visuals look like something out of Postal 2 or Deus Ex

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                          right, but i'm just sayin, that it seems to me better to model things like mountains and cliffs in some other program, unless you enjoy having your visuals look like something out of Postal 2 or Deus Ex
                          i can;t agree. In Crysis all cliffs, mountains and other terrain features are done with terrain (heightmap), not even using voxels for that. A this look amazing as it should it's matter of good texturing.

Comment

While vertical isn't possible, it is possible to get pretty **** close with heightmaps. Look at the way RCT3 heightmaps worked: You could have standard RCT2 hard raised land, but for realism there was the option to raise and flatten out terrain on top, effectively making cliffs.

Comment

My streaming note added to my first post.

Comment

Working...
                              X