Terrains Suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrains Suck

Almost every time I try to mess with terrain, I end up with UDK crashing on me. I cannot tell you what I do to generate a crash because it isn't isolated to anything. It is everything and anything I do. Sometimes it just crashes when I pick it and hit the terrain tool. Other times I select a layer or delete a layer or change a layer property. There are so many combinations of **** that causes a full UDK crash that I have completely disbanded the entire notion of using terrains at all and have opted instead to model my terrain in Max. Since I've done that I've had zero problems. Luckily for me my terrain is actually flat and will stay that way, but if I were to actually require a heightmappped terrain, I would be relatively SOL as I would struggle to find ways to paint large areas of textures and also foliage placement will be a pain in the ***. It's a shame because the tools appear to be pretty good and robust in usage but I swear to freakin god if UDK crashes one more ******* time I'm gonna explode. Terrain is the only thing I mess with that crashes UDK and like I said, it crashes almost every time.

Ok.

How big terrains are you editing? Patches that is.

Comment

Not very large at all. They're not physically huge nor do they have an overt amount of segments. I can't tell you the numbers because I deleted it. The simple fact is that I have yet to once start adjusting a terrain and actually make it out of that operation fast enough to save. Everything I've done has crashed me out before I can get something altered. In talking to my partner, he says he gets the same thing and that the terrain we had was from a build prior to April and now he can't do anything with it without a crash either. Either way, we've ditched them.

Comment

Just wondering what is your computer setup?

Comment

Terrain has been pretty stable for a while, but if you're trying to copy and paste terrain between engine revisions, you're potentially asking for trouble. If the terrain actor has changed, then there is every chance you are going to get crashes.

It's yet another reason to usually pick a build, and stick with it for the project duration.

Comment

im having the exact same problem, no matter what i try and do, whenever i create a terrain actor, and move my mouse curser over the terrain, udk completely crashes. Its happened so far to me on three different computers with completely different specs

Comment

Is UDK asking you to configure something when you launch first launch it?

If it is then configure like it asks, after it is done close UDK, and then reopen UDK. I had an issue with that not to long ago and that fixed it.

Comment

Can't say I get many crashed myself.

Comment

i've seen this to.
                  the terain looks a bit messed up atm.

Comment

Originally posted by drkdagron View Post
                    im having the exact same problem, no matter what i try and do, whenever i create a terrain actor, and move my mouse curser over the terrain, udk completely crashes. Its happened so far to me on three different computers with completely different specs
                    Yup, I created a terrain, oppened the terrain editor and udk crashed.

Edit: I'm using Nov build.

Comment

Working...
                    X