Units conversion to Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Units conversion to Feet

Sorry for the nubie question but does anyone know the conversion of units to feet.

which units?

Comment

Hi,
      if you meant the conversion from unreal units to feet:
      1 foot = 16 UU
      more Info on this Topic

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin31 View Post
        That a common interpretation. But in general a single UnrealUnit can be any size you want.

Comment

By changing the unreal unit's size in unreal ed?

Comment

If your using 3dsmax 1cm = 1uu. I find this the easiest way to work. Remember to set the system units to centimetres though.

Comment

Thanks...yes I ment Unreal units. Sorry but I'm still learning how to set the unit to what ever I like. I apreciate your comments

Comment

According to docs and questioning the Forum 1 UU == 2 cm, so I guess all info in this thread is wrong.

And it's not like you can scale UU to arbitrary values. If you think it in 1 UU = 2 KM all values are wrong. Gravity, sound falloff, whatnot else.

Comment

Originally posted by DannRees View Post
                  If your using 3dsmax 1cm = 1uu. I find this the easiest way to work. Remember to set the system units to centimetres though.
                  Any unit in Max = 1 unreal unit. Doesn't matter if it's cm, meter, max arbitrary unit, feet, inch, whatever. One unit will always translate to one unreal unit.

Comment

Originally posted by eAlex79 View Post
                    According to docs and questioning the Forum 1 UU == 2 cm, so I guess all info in this thread is wrong.

And it's not like you can scale UU to arbitrary values. If you think it in 1 UU = 2 KM all values are wrong. Gravity, sound falloff, whatnot else.
                    Really? Because when doing my cinematic I worked on 1cm = 1uu and everything matched up fine. Check the image. Box on right in the editor was imported from max.

Comment

Yes Danrees, that is right insofar as Max displays it's units as CM this way, and UDK displays the same value in UU, but still the scaling of the values like sound falloff and gravity aso are 1 UU = 2 cm. For UDK those values are hardcoded as you can't change the native code.

If you now ignore that and start building a level say in space, where you assume 1 UU = 10 km, the behaviours aren't anywhere near right anymore.

Comment

Ok I see, where did you learn this information? I'd like to have a read

Comment

It's on the UDN page on that topic, if I remeber right with an example of the sound fall off native code header. Search for it there I'm lazy

Comment

Originally posted by eAlex79 View Post
                            Yes you can scale it to arbitrary values, and yes that does imply you need to conform the usage of scale you used.

Comment

Source
                              1 UU is indeed equal to 2 cm...

Comment

Working...
                              X