Shadow from tree bleeds through BSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow from tree bleeds through BSD

I have a terrain with trees casting shadows and looks decent. I am using dominant direction light with modulate light shadow and an importance volume. I added a dungeon directly below the terrain and used builder brush to construct a simple square box. The shadow from one of the trees is bleeding through the BSD and I can see it from the interior of the box(dungeon) looking up. I changed the light to normal instead of dominate and all shadowing disappeared. Changed back to dominate and of course since my shadows are back, so is the one coming from the tree bleeding into my dungeon. Any suggestions would be helpful.

You shouldn't use modulated shadows in this particular case, switch back to normal shadows and it should be fine. The mod shadows are not "stopped" by anything. They go on forever because they are kind of cheaper versions of dynamic shadows.

Comment

I did switch to normal and lost all shadow. I do have to add that I am going for a night look and have the brightness turned down really low. Is there a way I can get shadows with normal light without increasing the brightness? Thanks for your help and reply.

Comment

No, I don't mean use normal light but rather for your main light.. I guess it would be moon light.. you use a dominantDirectional and keep all settings on defaults accept of course change color and brightness to your liking. The dominant light will already cast "Normal" shadows and it will work with regards to your first mentioned problem. So, what I mean here is don't use modulated shadows, they will not give you the desired result.

I would suggest first you see if your scene works with this as you want and then move on with other lights in the dungeon or whatever and then deal with how that works out.

Comment

obihb, I'm sorry I didn't explain better. I'll try again. I did switch to normal shadow. I was using modulated shadow. I kept the dominant directional light. But switching to normal shadow, I lost all shadows. If I boost the brightness up, I can get shadows, but then it looks like high noon. That is where the problem is. Sorry for the lack of proper wording. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Comment

Do you have any other lights in your level?. Maybe a skylight?. Is your shadows black when the light is bright or very faint?.

What I think you could do just to double check is make sure nothing is selected in your level, then right click in the view port on a clean area and go select and select all lights and then kill all the selected. Then add a brand new dominantDirectional, do the color settings and build the lighting and then see what you get. Maybe back your level up if you don't want to mess with it too much but either way I think you should go from scratch on the lights to pin down where you're having trouble.

That's about the best way I can think to try and figure what's going on without having the scene here.

There's also the possibility of bounced light but I'm not really sure now without testing it myself how much that would affect the dynamic shadow intensity and you can consider that after this first test with having only the one light.

Comment

The only other lights I have are point lights with importance boxes around each one. I started with the directional light on the terrain before the point lights were added. I am working on using normal shadow and adjusting the lighting as You suggested. Will post how it turned out. Thanks for Your assistance.

Comment

Working...
              X