Steam intigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam intigration

I've been looking to get some multiplayer up and going, I asked steam to setup a user and pass... get access to the steam SDK. They didn't respond.

I was wondering, has anyone else gotten a copy of the steam SDK (and was it with a presentation ready commercial program?)

I don't have a copy of the Steam SDK either (Steam didn't respond to my e-mail) but maybe you could try e-mailing Epic and see what they tell you (they might give you a udk user and pass).

Comment

Steam is integrated with UDK, you don't need the SDK for multiplayer. It still has alot of issues with routers, though. But they're about to fix that.

If you want to become a Steamworks partner with Valve, you need to show them a demo of your game. It doesn't need to be super polished, but it should be playable.

Comment

Originally posted by HEGI View Post
        you don't need the SDK for multiplayer
        When I query the server on the demo game I still don't receive a list, it just keeps trying to return one. The master server isn't available without the SDK?

Comment

Originally posted by UDKUser View Post
          When I query the server on the demo game I still don't receive a list, it just keeps trying to return one. The master server isn't available without the SDK?
          Yea, but for master server you have to have a working game to show to Valve. Then you can get your steam SDK. Before that you can just use console commands to connect to test server (open insertIPhere).

Comment

You can join games via the friends interface of Steam. Someone in your Steam friends list has to host.
            But as said before, it might not work if you are behind a router.
            I think for the game to appear in the public server list, you need a unique AppID from Valve.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the confirmation

Comment

Also, I got steamworks access about 8 months ago. It took them about 3 months to respond to my original email. So don't think they forgot about you, they are just incredibly slow when it comes to responding to emails - which can most likely be blamed on the fact that they get a ton of emails sent to them on a daily basis.

Comment

@infl1ct1on did you have to show them a demo?

How did you ask to be a partner?

Thanks!

Comment

No, I did not show them a demo. At the time, my game wasn't even playable! I don't know how things have changed in the last 8 months to be honest with you.

To become a partner, just shoot an email to whoever they ask you to email on their partners site. I believe the people have changed, and they did some restructuring with their steamworks team, so the exact person might have changed. If you are curious, the person I spoke to went by the name of Mike Dunkle. Through contacting him, he CC'ed a man named Jason Holtman into the discussion, so we basically had three people communicating at once.

Basically I just showed them some work in progress pictures (Check my link in my signature. I just showed them those weapon WIP shots on Moddb and they gave us access). They didn't really ask any questions about the game itself. They just asked for the names and address's of all programmers and they sent us NDA's and some other basic legal paperwork.

After that's done, they ask for your steam usernames and they set you up with steamworks access. Once you are setup though, you can only access the main partners site and download the SDK. If you want to get more features, then a lot more emailing must take place.

For example, to add achievements, leaderboards, etc. into your game you need a game admin account. You need to contact someone for that. To get an official game group, you need to email someone for that. To get a unique AppID, you need to contact someone for that, etc etc. So it is still a very lengthy process even after you get Steamworks access, but they will obviously respond to your emails a lot quicker once you contact individual valve employees instead of their general inquiry mail box.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X