Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animated Normal Map....how?

Hey there.
    I'm pretty new to UDK. I've done quite a bit of skeletal mesh import & support but am looking to take our animated models a bit further using animated normal maps in areas like knees, elbows and waist.
    Is it possible with either in the material editor, animTree, morph targets, or some combination thereof? Maybe through an anim notify?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alec

Why would you need to animate the normals on joints?

Comment

Oh. No, not the joints themselves. More likely an animated normal map on the mesh's texture that's driven from an anim clip or some external value....or whatever others think is a good idea.

Comment

[Edit: mixed up the order]
        In the material editor you could hook up a rotator node to a texture coordinate node to your normal map sample

On the material editor it would look like:
        NormalMap <- Rotator <- Texture coordinate;

Or you can look at other pre-existing materials that move and see how they do it.

Comment

Thanks Matt.
          I'll take a look at the rotator. I need to dig into a way to activate it. If I can get my editor to stop crashing (not a UDK or UE3 problem) then I'll look at the notifiers to see if I can key the blend to start happening at a given part of an animation clip.
          Thanks again.
          Alec

Comment

I don't think rotating the normal map will do what you want. I believe what you're looking for is blended normal maps. Like if a character has facial animation it'll blend a different normal map for wrinkles in the skin.

I would think there would be some way of doing that but I haven't looked into it that much.

Comment

Make a parameter input to a LERP in your material and control it with Unrealscript and animation data e.g the more a joint is bent the more the parameter is used. This is turn makes the normal maps plugged to the LERP fade between each other.

This is how I'd try to create it.

Comment

That seems kind of complex, especially if you have to do it for several characters.

Comment

the lerp with an unreal script alpha parameter is the best way. lerping materials is actually pretty easy, and the best way to 'crossfade' between sources.

you will possibly need multiple lerps if you have more than a simple binary state (ie, texture 1 or texture 2) to control which needs to blend into which. otherwise if your after 'animated' normal textures, i'd imaging the material editor would handle it the same way it handles any texture animations (so like ripples pulsing through would be a normal map of the ripple panned and added to the actual normal map).

possibly look at how some water material effects are done, though i'm not sure if they animate the normal channels...

but from the sounds, you want a set up like 'wrinkle map in when fully contracted, wrinkle map out when fully extended'...? lerps would be the way to do this

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the input guys. I'll do some research to figure out how to implement the alpha parameter lerping. I think we can keep our implementation to a binary choice so that things stay simple.
                    Thanks again.
                    Alec

Comment

Looks like many people wanted to do the "real muscle" effect.
                      I have the same problem here, thank you guys.
                      But there is another question. How do I get the angles of the joints?
                      That will be the parameter modulating the lerps.
                      Is it possible to do this in the coding section?
                      ----------
                      I'm sorry...
                      It seems that I need to go over the uscript reference section and see how exactly this is done.

Comment

I swear I saw a tutorial on how to do this kind of thing with blend shape setup...

Ah, here we are!

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/s...rough_no_sound

It has no sound, but it's pretty evident what he's doing. Near the end it shows how to change material parameters based on morphing between blendshapes.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Now this is exactly what I'm looking for.
                          Thanks very much, buddy!

Comment

Working...
                          X