No announcement yet.

CD Key/Serial for finished UDK Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing is, if your game isn't an AAA title, chances are, no one will care to crack it.
    ^This. I wouldn't waste money on DRM protection, unless you're certain your game is going to rack in the profit.

Comment

I might implement a CD-Key system if the game is multiplayer, to prevent people who haven't paid for your game from using services that are costing you money to provide, but in a singleplayer environment, it's not all that useful really, since anyone can just provide a working CD-Key along with the download.

Comment

Believe me, as an Indie you don't want DRM on your game...

Comment

Originally posted by Saishy View Post
          Believe me, as an Indie you don't want DRM on your game...
          We're not saying that full on DRM, similar to the ones such as in Assassins Creed 2 which required you to stay online constantly. CD Keys, although they can be broken, should really be enough to protect most UDK titles i'd say.

I'd argue that you really do, although it makes more sense for ones which feature a multiplayer game modes rather than just single player, as Ambershee said.

For the most part, just using a distribution platform such as Steam will often be sufficient in the vast majority of cases I'd suspect.

Comment

Yeah I think just protecting the installer would be fine, I mean most of us would probably feel like executives to sell a thousand copies. I would find it an honor if someone did crack it, because that means it's good enough to steal... well I guess that isn't very good necessarily, but nevertheless! For online games, I think some kind of registration system wouldn't be too far out because it costs a bit if you have dedicated servers, no point in taking the chance of it, but for the most part I think it would be fine for just the installer.

Comment

If companies like EA and Activision, that invest millions of dollars in anti-piracy techniques, can't prevent theirs games from being pirated... what makes you think your technique will? Be smarter, act smarter, market your game smarter. Learn from 2D Boy or Wolfire, for example.

Comment

Because I'm not spending millions of dollars on my game?

Comment

Managed to get Setup Factory

Has alot of neat features in the software.

Im only going to use it for the installer.

Comment

Depends on what sort of game yur creating, but if it involves any sort of online player identity (accounts, id's usernames, etc.) just concerntrate on making sure its really quite hard to get the game to play without an official account. Make them free to create (on top of the game's cost), but require them to input their CD Key into the registration sequence on the website, and you can quite easily cancel/delete accounts that are using fake keys, you just have to keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X