I really despise the way DirectX and PhysX is done on install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really despise the way DirectX and PhysX is done on install

I just installed Prometheus. It is a few months old and I am sure my DirectX and PhysX is newer than what is packaged. But it still goes through the routine of installing (or is it???) a possibly older version of these.

I really do not like looking at a screen wondering what it is, or isn't doing to my system in the background.

This is a real problem for any released game.

Most customers would feel the way I am feeling now which is &*%$*^*(!!

Don't even care to play Prometheus now.

Sorry you feel that way about the UDK, but please don't take it out on my game.

Comment

DirectX will check which version of DirectX is installed before attempting to update any files. I'm not sure about PhysX, but I imagine it's the same deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
        Sorry you feel that way about the UDK, but please don't take it out on my game.
        Yes, the problem is with the UDK, not in anyway reflecting on the game.

Originally posted by Quanta View Post
        DirectX will check which version of DirectX is installed before attempting to update any files. I'm not sure about PhysX, but I imagine it's the same deal.
        So why does the installer say updating? Thats the point.

Comment

It is entirely possible to have multiple versions of DirectX installed, and games will use the most appropriate one.

Many retail games will run a DirectX redist install as part of the installation process. UDK games are no different. The redist installer isn't even a UDK component as such.

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
            It is entirely possible to have multiple versions of DirectX installed, and games will use the most appropriate one.

Many retail games will run a DirectX redist install as part of the installation process. UDK games are no different. The redist installer isn't even a UDK component as such.
            I didn't know you could have multi versions installed and I am sure the average gamer doesn't as well.

As with other games using to same install method, I hardly ever have a problem with DirectX when installing games so I don't know why this stands out apart from other installs.

So you're saying the installer is fine? Really?

Comment

So why does the installer say updating? Thats the point.
              Because that's the word choice they went with. If it just said "Running DirectX Redistributable", would you feel better?

So you're saying the installer is fine? Really?
              You sound paranoid. Yes, it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanta View Post
                Because that's the word choice they went with. If it just said "Running DirectX Redistributable", would you feel better?
                If its not installing anything, why does it take so long? Installing DirectX (or not) and PhysX (or not) takes half the installation time.

Comment

Are you really so bothered that a DirectX installer is updating, or in this case checking your DirectX so that you can play a game? I don't see where your statement is heading, I'm sure you don't complain when your graphics drivers are being updated, Windows update is running, or any other type of update to be fair.

I also think most customers would be happy it's being done automatically rather than it saying "You don't have the latest DirectX, please download the latest version".

Comment

My best guess is that it's checking to ensure all the relevant files are up to date before it tries to update anything. No sense in updating a file that doesn't need to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
                      I'm sure you don't complain when your graphics drivers are being updated, Windows update is running, or any other type of update to be fair.
                      I don't complain about these, why would I when I am doing the update myself?

Comment

Yeah, if you don't have the February DX files installed, but you do have the april DX files installed, but whatever game you are trying to run is compiled with the February DX files, then you need the February DX files in addition to the April DX files. (although normally if you have the April ones, then the Feb ones would already be installed, but not exactly 100% true in all cases)

The DX installer goes through all of the files relevant to that particular version of DX and makes sure that the proper versions are there, and installs any that aren't.

Unfortunatly, the rest of the dependencies installed by the UDK UE3Redist program are very temperamental about installing on some systems.

Comment

You know this process actually crashes out on my system, It might not be a problem with the UDK and the ReDist packages but its still going to reflect poorly on UDK. I prefer to be giving the choice to install a new DX version something that most games which install DX do, infact if its a requirement some games will actually abort the installer. While I applaud the no frills approach of the UDK installer and its ease of us I cant help but think it could use alittle more. Then again I could say that about most MSI installs too.

The thing that bugs me is the redist's are stored on my pc once theyve already been updated, I dont need em and they sit there hogging up more and more space with each UDK I install. So maybe a suggestion, A common directory for UDK so they can grab the common files from a similar directory rather then duplicating stuff over and over again (omg virus). Its even got a trojan in the compiler XD lmfao

Comment

yeah, 3 of the 6 machines i've run it on, UE3Redist crashes every run, although as far as I can tell everything in UDK still functions on all but one of the computers, where I have one that does not have sound in any UDK game except Hazard.

Comment

Ahh yes I have had a few sound issues, its intermittent. I wonder why the sound is broken, every other UE3 game I got works fine, perhaps it has something to do with what makaze said about being XAudio2 or somethin

Comment

Working...
                              X