Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we have little to no FLASH skills, will Scaleform be useless to us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we have little to no FLASH skills, will Scaleform be useless to us?

Hm the topic title says it all really, but I'm still curious.

It looks really great, but I'm not the best in flash... well actually to be honnest, I know VERY VERY little about FLASH but would like to have a nice HUD when the time comes. So I'm asking this to figure out if I should start learning flash or not?

Will I need to learn flash then scaleform or can I still use some features of scaleform without having to learn flash.

Thanks.

I second this question.

Will UIScene be completely removed or can we choose between scaleform and UIScene?

Comment

Dreamcube if you want a nice HUD you can still use the Canvas, Steve Polge posted in the Scaleform thread that the Canvas will stay, and the UIScene stuff will be removed.

Scaleform IS Flash - you can't use any features of it without using Flash. No doubt its probably a good idea to start learning the basics of it, its a useful app regardless. But generally speaking I wouldn't think that a basic menu/HUD will be anymore complex to create in Scaleform than it would have been using the UIScene stuff. You can still use raster graphics in Flash but I have no idea how well they'll scale with Scaleform. Its one of those 'wait and see how it goes' kind of things, I guess, but basic knowledge of Flash never hurt anyone.

Comment

Honestly making a hud without flash is bound to be harder then using flash (even if you have to learn it). Apparently scaleform has performance enhancements as well and when you look at the calls to what gets drawn you'll find hud is up there because its always on the screen obviously. Really though Im not big on flash but I picked up flex very quickly in a trial recently, Im looking forward to seeing how it works myself Im still trying to work out what 'flash' actually is apart from a file format and a web browser app.

Comment

Probably not. It's not that hard to learn, although I don't like it very much.

Comment

I guess the question is, did you have any Unreal skills when you first came to work with Unreal? No? Well, you learned them, didn't you?

Comment

Flash is easy to learn

Yes, you will need to know Flash. However, many developers using Scaleform GFx actually started not knowing Flash at all, but were able to quickly learn using Scaleform docs, samples, and the plethora of Adobe Flash material available online and in print.

The UDK sample game (UT3 tech demo) will ship with a complete Scaleform Flash-based UI, showing how to implement all the basics:
              * front end menu
              * multiplayer lobby
              * loading screen
              * high performance HUD
              * popup pause menu and scoreboard
              * even an in-game 3D menu (in the future)

UDK also includes the Scaleform CLIK framework, which provides a fairly complete set of Flash components for rapid game UI development:
              * Controls - button, edit box, scrollable list, combo box, slider, window, ...
              * Classes - focus manager, drag and drop, data provider, ...
              * Docs - tutorials, user manual, and samples

Developers can use the new UDK sample UI and CLIK framework for their own games to get started quickly.

-- Brendan

Comment

Cool good to konw. Well I suppose flash can't be THAT hard (to start with anyway) so thanks.

Comment

It's really not hard to learn. I don't get into coding really, so when I was working with it before it was just a simple matter of finding the coding for stuff like buttons and then copying it--you don't have to learn a whole new scripting language, just be able to find the scripting you need and change a few things with it. Otherwise the animation is easy to use. And honestly it'll be easier than using the UIScene stuff.

Comment

Personally, Flash is REALLY easy to learn. I mean, a few youtube videos and off I went. It's also like a SUPER BASIC stripped down photoshop that only creates, not edits. Plus, the scripting is rather easy. But thats me.

Comment

Scaleform GFx will be absolutely useless to you if you lack learning skills.

Comment

Can I learn learning skills?

Comment

Looking forward to Scaleform intergration, I must admit Flash is pretty easy to learn.

Comment

Flash is easy to learn, harder to master. Just as with other programs, it has its nuances, and annoyances, speaking as someone with 12 years experience using it for design and animation.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                              Can I learn learning skills?
                              Only if you're willing to forget whatever you learned about skills regarding learning.

Comment

Working...
                              X