Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZoneAlarm never remembers Swarmagent! (keeps bugging me every build i make)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZoneAlarm never remembers Swarmagent! (keeps bugging me every build i make)

This is a little problem I'm having, little as it is, after the 500th warning message im starting to turn senile about it. Basically, EVERY time I 'build all' or build lighting while lightmass is enabled, ZoneAlarm comes up in my face and asks me whether to deny or allow. First of all, problems aside, why does it even need to access the net? all I'm doing is building the light, whats that got to do with the internet? what information is being sent out to god knows where? Second, WHY, even though I tick "remember this setting" in the zonealarm dialogue, does zonealarm keep asking me? I click deny, then remember, but it doesn't remember, whats the deal with this exe? How can I stop it from requesting net access without disabling my connection?

Dont say turn off my firewall, because that would just be stupid in terms of security, and whenever I use UDK, I NEED the net connected because Im always researching techniques and reading tutorials, I dont wanna have to re-connect and disconnect every time LOL that would be ridiculoso.

Is anybody else here a ZA user, and getting these problems? ZA free to be specific.

Hope some1 can shed some light here!

thanks

That is because Lightmass (for some weird annoying reason >_> ) makes a new .exe every time you run it. It's in one of the swarmcache job folders.

It's REALLY annoying to be honest.

Comment

Yep, I'm with ya. That little quirk bugs the **** out of me. The pro version isn't any different.

Comment

personal suggestion: if you don't have a hardware firewall, get one. software firewalls suck, imo.

even more sucky, is if your software firewall is interpreting requests to access the local machine as a request to access the internet.

Comment

It should be possible to mark the loopback address (127.0.0.1) as trusted, which will stop the warnings.

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
          personal suggestion: if you don't have a hardware firewall, get one. software firewalls suck, imo...
          The two address different problems though. Software firewalls are useful because they work at the application level, e.g. preventing specific programs from phoning home. It's good to use both.

Comment

but zonealarm sucks. get another one.^^
            been where.. and zonealarm is just ****. I had many far too many missalerts and always blocking stuff that doesn't have to be blocked.

overwatching everything is good.. but just blocking everything and to tell me that is something that I could script by myself.

Comment

Well my router has a built in firewall so I guess I have both kinds. Anyway, theres something for epic to think about on the next release, but its only trivial anyway. I wonder when we'll move out of the beta stage.

Comment

Originally posted by shuriken88 View Post
                I wonder when we'll move out of the beta stage.
                Software development is a journey, not a destination. Projects are never completed, just abandoned. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
                  Software development is a journey, not a destination. Projects are never completed, just abandoned. ^_^
                  beautiful phrased.
                  I /sign that!

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
                    I see what you mean, you work on something until you start the next project, then its goodbye to official support for the previous one.

Am I right in assuming your the one that made those ultra detailed UT2004 maps on Map-Factory.com? They are simply the most amazing maps I've ever seen for the engine, better than all of the epic maps IMHO.

The Bladerunner LA map is my favourite, but the Urotsukidoji Indiana Jones, Afghanistan, English Countryside etc. All of them, breath-taking

Comment

Well my router has a built in firewall so I guess I have both kinds. Anyway, theres something for epic to think about on the next release, but its only trivial anyway. I wonder when we'll move out of the beta stage.

A router is a firewall by its very nature (assuming of course it's actually functioning as a router, and not just as a switch to a bunch of machines each with their own external IP address), provided the port in question isn't forwarded to the target machine (DMZ's case -- everything that would otherwise have no destination is forwarded to the target machine)

And outbound firewalls are mostly useless because at that point you're already compromised in some way and the compromiser will just disable your firewall if it's any infection worth mentioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                        ...And outbound firewalls are mostly useless because at that point you're already compromised in some way and the compromiser will just disable your firewall if it's any infection worth mentioning.
                        It's not explicitly malicious software that they are helpful against, but normal software that feels the need to phone home, which seems to be almost everything nowadays.

Comment

I see what you mean, you work on something until you start the next project, then its goodbye to official support for the previous one.

Am I right in assuming your the one that made those ultra detailed UT2004 maps on Map-Factory.com? They are simply the most amazing maps I've ever seen for the engine, better than all of the epic maps IMHO.

The Bladerunner LA map is my favourite, but the Urotsukidoji Indiana Jones, Afghanistan, English Countryside etc. All of them, breath-taking
                          No that was Angelheart. My maps include DM-Reconstruct and CTF-PhaseShift.

Comment

Is that the one with the crazy platforms that built themselves as you walked over them? and that level with the two islands in the sky? I've played those on UT2k4. Love the platform effect. Shows off some advanced features!

Comment

I use Comodo (replaced Avast and ZoneAlarm for me long time ago) and the simple solution when working with UDK is to set the firewall (simple right click on system tray) to Training Mode.

This means firewall lets Swarmagent through without any popups. Problem solved for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X