Breaking this theory down?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking this theory down?!

Ok so basically I was thinking. An dissect this is I'm totally out of it on this one.But I been a actual beta tester for APB which runs on UE3. An they have it so basically each server holds 100 players but the call them districts which they are. An every district you go to is another server and once that district reaches 100 players its set as full and a new one is created for ppl want to go to that particular place. So I started scratching my head and said that's not a bad MMO illusion they did to simulate singularity using UE3. So was mainly thinking since our cap is 64 right so say you create a certain area called for example Mountains of example and when it fills up with 64 ppl no one can come to that one but sent to another server running that same place. then say if they want to go to this other place they go to teleporter A which takes them to the next place(aka another server running this particular place) that is suppose be behind Mountains of example or whatever. I dont know if yall get it but this is how APB works and how they solved the MMO problem in UE3 by a simple and smart illusion.

I just thought about this and thought it could be done in UDK. I have no interest in doing this atm or testing this atm just posed the question and wanted to get to break downs and etc on this and there way of a creating a effective MMO illusion in UE3

First, singularity doesn't mean what I think you think it means. Second, you need to really get yourself organized I don't understand most of that. And third, that's been brought up quite a few times, but no one's actually bothered trying it out yet as far as I know.

Comment

cool yea I thought it might sound confusing and I was typing fast cuz I was busy..lol but cool I was just thinking about it and wanted to post about it.

Comment

Alright to simplify, he's asking if anyone knows if it's possible to make an illusionary MMO using game shards with 64 people in each of them.

Comment

The illusion is that of the genre incorrectly labelled 'MMO'. Basically the term you would be looking for is persistent online world is it not? Ive been over this many times, what is mass? Well if it means alot of people then there are alot of games which could be called 'mass multiplayer', this ofcoarse doesnt need to be limited to being 'online' as many users could be on lan connecting to a local server which allows access from 'the net'. Basically mafia wars is an MMO and it doesnt require a 3d visualization at all, it does have persistence. Im not directing this solely at the OP but I dont get how people find it difficult to break this thought training that marketing uses, seperate concept from form, please. You'll be better off in the future and you'll understand the true nature of 'objects'.

Thank you.

Comment

Oh my god no one cares what the definition is. It's subjective, it doesn't matter and is totally irrelevant. In as much I could argue anything is a persistent online world just as much as one could anything else be an MMO; it doesn't matter.

Comment

You failed and miss the point completely, whats irrelevant is talking graphics when you really want to be talking networks!

Comment

basically what Im saying there is a UE3 MMO being released this June called APB. What it does to create a MMO is a illusion to the player to simulate a MMO world by:

setting up 100 player servers running different districts which are different locations of the same city.Once one of this distrits reaches 100 players a new server opens that is running the same thing for those wanting to go to same place.

Now Im saying this illusion can be applied to UDK maybe by doing the same thing if someone every wants to try. So ok your have your huge level or whatever 4096x4096 streaming 4x right this is one area which would be called a city district in the other game but you can call it whatever you want. Then say the 4096x4096 area on the player map says there is another called Example B in the west you go that way and find a teleporter.Player presses this teleporter and it disconnects them from the that "area" and connects them to a server running the area they are seemingly heading to it but the player would just see a loading screen to keep the persistence illusion and not realize that they are on a whole new server running another place that has all there player account information or whatever because its all studio owned servers none would be Player unless you allowed private servers.Instead of a area having max player count 100 b4 a new server is created running the same place that accepts incoming connections of 64 max.

Im not really interested in the MMO thing for a long time.I plan on expanding on my current project for now and future so...just wanted to post my thought I had

Comment

Ahh yes see thats how I thought it always worked for these things when there was a too large area for a single server to be able to handle. Fury ran the same level on multiple realms so you could only see the players on your realm until you entered an instanced battlezone.

Now I understand what you meant, basically I thought you were trying to bypass the fact that each of those servers will have to contain players for them to be visible whether they are bots or humans.

Ideally you want your character/inventory/achievements/stats server to be separate from the actual physical world, this way you wont have duplicates of the database on each and every district server. Thats how I think these things work anyways like steamcloud, its not the same servers as steam, steam games or VAC.

Comment

What does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
                      What does that mean?
                      he is a spammers just report him

Comment

Working...
                      X