No announcement yet.

Need to be motivated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always found that if I get bored/demotivated with my project, I will take a break from whatever specific thing I am working on and do something else for a while.

For example, I am pretty new to scripting and it really takes some motivation to do such a tedious thing when you don't know functions and such off-hand.

So, I make a simple to-do list of things that need to get done and try to organize them in order of importance. Maybe I'll go ahead and make a few environmental meshes, or tweak some of my mesh placements in a map, or make a new material asset, and then I will go back to my design document (if you don't have one, you should) and make changes as needed.

I'll make sure to make notes on how certain scripts should be put together

I.E. - My "pickupfactory" for weapons is a crate that needs to do the following:

- Check to see if the player is close enough to "use" the factory...
    - ...If so, Open The crate (play Animation).
    - ...If not, Make sure the crate is closed.
    - If the player isn't close enough and the crate is open, close it.
    - Check to see if the weapon should spawn...
    - ...If it should and the crate is closed, spawn the weapon inside the crate.
    - ...If it should but the crate is open, don't spawn the weapon until the crate is closed again.
    - Check to see what kind of weapon should spawn.

Etc.... You get the point. This way when I go back to scripting, I already have the basic layout of everything that script should do, so I can go about coding specific things one at a time.

So, pretty much like everyone else has said, set one small goal at a time.

Also, I want to add about you saying your work looks like **** to you: We are all our own worst critics, as are most artists. It really boils down to whether or not you love what you are doing. If you don't know the answer to that, then you may want to re-think things through.

Comment

I like the idea where I break into your house most.

Comment

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
        I like the idea where I break into your house most.
        I think imma go with paper and pen.

0_o

Comment

Originally posted by CreativeCoding View Post
          So, I am creating a game called Radke. It's just me working on it, and so far, it's ****. The only thing I got done (sorta) is the dialog. Basically, level 1 as well as an outline for level 2. But every time I go into udk thinking about creating the level, I completely get bored and quit. I get bored because it looks like **** at first and I start to have doubts...

Here is a pic of level 1:
          http://j.imagehost.org/dl/2dc762ecc5...61/sadrawr.png

So far I have made some fog, lights, basic meshes, a mountain that the player has to escape from, a Matinee showing the mountain, and a basic tutorial on how to play.

So, what should I do to keep motivated and working?

yo bro i totally know where your coming from. what helps me is to start another project thats why im not working on Crystalis 2010 at the moment.
          but after learning some coding thanks to my new project ill be getting back to it soon. just work on something else till you figure out what your wanting to do, your work doesnt look like **** its just in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Orindoomhammer View Post
            yo bro i totally know where your coming from. what helps me is to start another project thats why im not working on Crystalis 2010 at the moment.
            but after learning some coding thanks to my new project ill be getting back to it soon. just work on something else till you figure out what your wanting to do, your work doesnt look like **** its just in your head.

Hmm... I'm trying this.

I am working on a model, trying to sell it!

Comment

Working...
            X