Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeUT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    FreeUT

    Is there anything legally preventing me to making a game similar to UT3 assuming I don't use UT3 assets and use original content?

    And can I name my mod FreeUT without crossing any copyright restrictions (I might not actually name it that)?

    #2
    if its only for private use and you don't release it, I don't think you have to worry about the legal issues.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by udk3 View Post
      if its only for private use and you don't release it, I don't think you have to worry about the legal issues.
      And I can also make a computer case out of aluminum and cut out an Apple logo in it and make it glow white without getting in trouble from Apple -- if it's in my own home and I don't distribute it (etc) because I'm not really infringing on their copyright (to my knowledge) since you're not really making a product.

      The problem of course is that in order to play with anything non-bot -- he needs to distribute it... which Epic already said was not okay to make a UT clone.

      That said -- if you game is about as similar to UT as Quake is to UT -- then there wouldn't be any problem (under the assumption that you don't cross some other copyright, of course)

      As for using the name "UT" in a mod -- I'm not sure if Epic trademarked UT. They trademarked Unreal, the Unreal Logo, and several other things -- not sure about UT though.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
        And I can also make a computer case out of aluminum and cut out an Apple logo in it and make it glow white without getting in trouble from Apple -- if it's in my own home and I don't distribute it (etc) because I'm not really infringing on their copyright (to my knowledge) since you're not really making a product.

        The problem of course is that in order to play with anything non-bot -- he needs to distribute it... which Epic already said was not okay to make a UT clone.

        That said -- if you game is about as similar to UT as Quake is to UT -- then there wouldn't be any problem (under the assumption that you don't cross some other copyright, of course)

        As for using the name "UT" in a mod -- I'm not sure if Epic trademarked UT. They trademarked Unreal, the Unreal Logo, and several other things -- not sure about UT though.
        nice analysis of my quote.

        However, I would say most ut players are fine playing with bots or lan party. There so many mods for ut but not so much people playing online.

        Comment


          #5
          UT is a trademark, and so are all of the names of their games. You can't make an Unreal Tournament game in any guise. However, making a fast paced arena shooter would be acceptable, so long as you don't copy the content of UT.

          Comment


            #6
            It would have to be way different.

            WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY different. That includes the guns, objectives (if there are any specials), power-ups, and characters.

            Comment


              #7
              Yah it depends what you mean by "a game similar to UT3". Similar in that its 1st person, has guns, had deathmatch, ctf, etc. Sure you bet.

              Similar in that it has the exact same guns with different models, no. And no, you couldn't use FreeUT, it would constitute a trademark violation at the very least.

              Comment


                #8
                It wouldn't have to be WAAAAYYYYY different, most arena shooters are pretty generic with the same style of gameplay. So long as he doesn't do everything exactly the same, like make models that look the same as in UT and name everything same then he doesn't really have much to worry about.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
                  It wouldn't have to be WAAAAYYYYY different, most arena shooters are pretty generic with the same style of gameplay. So long as he doesn't do everything exactly the same, like make models that look the same as in UT and name everything same then he doesn't really have much to worry about.
                  Well, yeah.

                  I tend to exaggerate a lot.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I just wanted to make fun of you but figured I should add something helpful in.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      do what you want.. just keep in mind to not name it UT or something that has UT or unreal in name and don't use the skeletal meshes.
                      The rest is fine.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
                        I just wanted to make fun of you but figured I should add something helpful in.

                        lol, yeah.

                        anyhow, just no models, names, maps, etc. can be the same.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          And you also probably shouldn't use the names or models from other games either. Like, no freeQuake with a Master Chief and Hell Knight or a secret Kool Aid Man who can crash through walls and stuff while throwing talking mushrooms and smiley stars and banana peels around (and possibly wearing a monocle and top hat, a thimble, and walking a chrome dog that owns an overpriced hotel and can get out of jail free). Although that would be one of hell of an awesome game I'm sure (and also may bring back some childhood memories that we've all suppressed, as I was always in fear as a child that the Kool Aid Man would crash through my wall and my dad wouldn't believe me when I told him a delicious sugary fruit punch drink in a large round pitcher broke his house and spilled himself all over my room), I think you might run into some trouble. HOWEVER, I think it would be really funny if someone made a game that infringed on every possible copyright that one can think of (in a funny or otherwise really badass way), so have it.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I think I'll just drop the idea. >.>
                            Thanks for your ideas. I'll probably move onto a more original idea.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              There's really nothing wrong with making an arena shooting with the same game play mechanics. People can't patent game play mechanics anyways given that the concepts behind them are pretty generic.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X