Putting elements of 3d models to use in UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting elements of 3d models to use in UDK

Hello all, I'm yet another novice stepping into the realm of the UDK that is seeking some help. To start, I'm not a professional (nor relatively close to decent, for that matter) 3D modeler. I've recently obtained 3DS Max and have been fondling around with some random models and have exported them into the .ASE format to be used in the UDK Editor. But when I go to apply materials to the mesh [in the UDK Editor], I am unable to, as they aren't already broken into "elements". I'd simply like to know how to select certain polygons and whatnot from any given model, and form them into these "elements" so that I could put them to use in the UDK.

Thanks,
    Tannz0rz

I have no idea what you're talking about. You can divide objects into separate elements in 3DS Max by selecting the polygons and detaching them, and selecting Detach to Element instead of Detach to Object if that's what you want. But I fail to see how that would be an issue, unless you made a bunch of objects that should be in separate scenes and exported them out in one scene.

Comment

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
      I have no idea what you're talking about. You can divide objects into separate elements in 3DS Max by selecting the polygons and detaching them, and selecting Detach to Element instead of Detach to Object if that's what you want. But I fail to see how that would be an issue, unless you made a bunch of objects that should be in separate scenes and exported them out in one scene.
      Well, nor do I (entirely...), heh. I'll give you a screen-shot of what I'm talking about (pardon the size of the image):

Each bit of the model is broken down into what UDK refers to as "elements", I'm not sure as to exactly how to actually break a model down into these bits so I can texture each individually. Catch my drift?

Comment

Why don't you just set the UV's up properly and use one texture? You'd have to assign the textures in Max using multiple channels I think, forget how since I never do it that way, and then do the same thing in UDK.

Comment

Working...
        X