zbrush? (A pipeline question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zbrush? (A pipeline question)

I seem to see people baking there models inside max or maya or xnormal. Did zbrush fall out of favor with people? Did the one click normal map, ao... maps go bad? I'm thinking of what pipeline I want to use and it takes incredibly long to map each model compared to clicking map. So whats the word, is baking your models the best way to go? (also, who uses an ambient occlusion map in udk?)

example:http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/3d-...ow-poly-model/

I personally like to keep it all in one file. Also a lot of smaller houses can not afford to buy ZBrush for all of the artists.
    AO maps are commonly used as dirt maps added in the diffuse map. In games and in Feature films.

Comment

I just think it's easier to do it outside of Zbrush.

Comment

I use mudbox instead of zbrush but really, it's still another step for the pipeline though which is the major think I think, if you can make decent assets within the modelling package and bake it within said package there is zero reason to have to involve another.

I would think for things like characters people still use mudbox/zbrush still.

Comment

I use Zbrush for high detail things, but I think the program is a pain in the *** to use.

Comment

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
            I use Zbrush for high detail things, but I think the program is a pain in the *** to use.
            Oh yeah. That's so true.
            All that progress and technology and still the 3d modeling methods are prehistoric. The bottleneck of the rapid production.

Comment

Hmm, Zbrush would be a less of a pain in the *** if I had a WACOM. But I do agree, it is a pain.

Comment

well zbrush takes some getting used to and you have to be a artist foremost with deep knowledge of anatomy and proportions and etc.Its not as simple as Max or Maya so many ppl like above may find it very hard. I find it difficult sometimes but it has become most industry standard for high detail mesh with the illusion of high poly.But its something to surely learn or attempt learn besides this threads current suggestions.I would ask this question on game artist forum,cgsociety,cghub,zbrushcentral or any forum with members with heavy use and understanding of such programs.I use it and love it I use zbrush in any pipeline I do most a Maya,zbrush pipeline anyways.Zbrush can also be used for texturing objects instead of the usual photo textures and sculpt brick walls that render some what like a DX11 tessalation after baking and polypainting,which Im currently doing with some buildings I'm doing in zbrush.So this question isnt something I would ask here if you want really good answers that might teach you something in the process of asking so may want to repost on a site similar to the suggested ^_^

[SHOT]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/hboybowen/RenderTest.jpg[/SHOT]

This is a vey early shot of something Im doing now.My current version has bricks I did using Warp Mode and later Im going to add wear and tear on certain bricks and the watertower at the top now look like more steam punky but not sure what for but its coming nicely so zbrush is one othe greatest tools to use. for anything and really think you should ask this outside of UDK forums aswell ^_-

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                  well zbrush takes some getting used to and you have to be a artist foremost with deep knowledge of anatomy and proportions and etc.Its not as simple as Max or Maya so many ppl like above may find it very hard.
                  It's not hard to use but rather "time-eater" in my opinion.

Comment

well it may be a time consuming but modeling in general or any form of art is for that matter.Being fast and getting done fast is never the way to go in game development cuz it turns your game to trash at the end.Thats why many high demand titles use the "ITS DONE WHEN ITS DONE" motto.

Comment

Being fast and getting done fast is never the way to go in game development cuz it turns your game to trash at the end.
                      Either that, or the speedy guy is just super talented.

Also, I find it curious you are using zbrush on a building. :S

Comment

Well why not...its not very strange...if you search a study many artist you may find Sebastian Legrain he uses it fo it for similar purposes he has a tutorial on it on the pixologic site.This is why I suggest he go to a specialized professional forum community and ask this you will get better answers. So check one out

Comment

agreed, z has become a major part of our pipe since recent releases of hard edged stuff. It's a wonder to hear about price being too high, when it costs 1/5th of a package like max or maya. Those really break the bank. The only benefit i see in baking maps out in xnormal, max or maya is it seems to work better in conjunction to calculating steep angles using smoothing groups and having better control over uv space. For that we still bounce back and fourth. As far as ao maps, we only use those in diffuse imposing. I haven't seen a benefit in u3 yet, but then again, we're really new on this engine atm and it might be something worth gobbling up the buffer for better results then standard lightmass. Anyone using AO maps for assets in their materials?

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                            well it may be a time consuming but modeling in general or any form of art is for that matter.Being fast and getting done fast is never the way to go in game development cuz it turns your game to trash at the end.Thats why many high demand titles use the "ITS DONE WHEN ITS DONE" motto.
                            Try saying that to the industry. ;0)

Comment

@ Hboybowen, well it's not that I've never thought about using zbrush for that kind of stuff, but I'm just so used to 3DS Max for hard edge stuff that I don't see the point using it for that kind of thing. The only reason I would use it for would to be to make brick work textures and such.

Still, that is one **** nice looking building.

Comment

Working...
                              X