Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing UDK Central:Wiki - Helping you find Unreal tutorials fast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on the initiative!
    I hope your site grow and help the community as much as it can.

Well, now I would like to give my opinion, sorry if I seem rude but be sure it's not my intent.

I enter the site, nice another wiki! Well, let's see what we have here. *scrolls*
    Oh, a funny image, developing for IOS (cool, some information about this), UDK, UDK, UDK, UDK...
    Uhm, let me see the site's content... Where? Is there any tutorials? Oh there is a search box here... But I don't know what to search... What does the site have? Can't the site just tell me what it does instead of I having to know it's content beforehand?

Tutorials, tutorials... I can only find recent changes, random, changes, random... Argh... OH THERE IS "For a list of current tutorials, click here." Why can't I find it when I want?

Sorry, but that was really what happened. Once I clicked in the link I noticed the others two links since they got purple colored. But they are not calling enough attention.
    They are just there, like a normal text with a hyperlink in it. They are not there as a menu, highlighted, or as a helper. They are just... there.

The site is missing a highlighted place that scream: "This is what I do"
    As a rule of thumb, when you think something is calling enough attention. Make it 20x more flashy.

For example, look at this wikia: http://www.wowpedia.org/
    As soon as you enter there is a black box with images named "Wowpedia content portals" Then there is another black box below with only links.
    No text, no description. There is only links to the contents.
    Wanna read? Oh there are some things on the right, bellow... But the user will feel anguished until they know where are the links he want and how he can find it later.

Again, good luck with your site. ^ ^

Edit: Don't try to look at my site, it does have the same error. (Actually because it's a blog that looks like a portal, but it's just a blog... really)

Comment

I agree as well, the sites design is less then top notch. I'll try to make adjustments to the site based on your recommendations.

I wonder however if you seen the top nav bar that says "Tutorial Index". Also did you ever find this page? http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Category:Tutorials

It sounds to me that you where trying to navigate the site from the front page via the navigation bar on the left. I'll see to it that the tutorial index and the other starting pages are put on the left so people don't get lost.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
        I agree as well, the sites design is less then top notch. I'll try to make adjustments to the site based on your recommendations.

I wonder however if you seen the top nav bar that says "Tutorial Index". Also did you ever find this page? http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Category:Tutorials

It sounds to me that you where trying to navigate the site from the front page via the navigation bar on the left. I'll see to it that the tutorial index and the other starting pages are put on the left so people don't get lost.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
        Yes, clicking on the link I said on my previous post redirected me to that page.
        And no, I never even noticed the top menu, probably because it's black.
        And again, no, I didn't try to use the left menu. The left menu is most used to store things people will not want to look.

Don't put things people will search often in the left menu bar, it kills the site.
        Push all the current content below and create a new area just for useful links, put the tutorials and anything you want there. It must be centered and contains no additional text.

Comment

But I doubt that you will find that much contributors, since the UnrealWiki can't really find them either. Many people are just taking from the Wiki but rarely giving, which is sad.

And those who actually could contribute usually prefer to host tutorials on their own sites (what would be perfectly fine if they'd still link to it in the Wiki) and those who are contributing after all are mostly editing the legacy pages, which is actually highly discouraged (as it says in big red letters when you try to edit a legacy page), but they do it anyway and are not really helpful that way.

Anyway, if it's just about finding UDK tutorials: the Wiki has a page for that and would be happy if it would get more people caring about it as well.

Comment

With good awareness finding contributors isn't too difficult. I agree however the current mindset of those who are in the production sector is limited to self promotion or obscurity. However amongst all of this there is still a great many people that just need to be discovered. All that has to be done is to make it known that a site exists for them to support and teach. After all, excluding those who are there for fame or fortune, most tutorial developers are there to teach and impart knowledge. Giving them a better way or at the very least an aid in preventing their work from obscurity and the sands of time, is most often attractive.

Around us we see a lot of stagnation and dysfunction in the community and it paints a poor picture at times. I believe however in time this will clear as long we keep steps in growing and helping the community. As long as we refuse to accept mediocrity, the ideals of independent development vs communal development and work to meld the nature of game development with community life - we will be making forward progress.

That leads us to one of the largest problems for growth: People are not keen in investing time into anything when they expect to leave in a short amount of time. It is hard to ask people to settle down and support a growing community when the very nature of the community speaks of isolation, self grouping and independent development.

Now it does not mean this is the way things must be. I think we can all foresee a future where it is not. I know most people from the UT2004 modding arena could remember a past of communal growth.

With change comes hope and awareness. In a effort not to add to the stagnation and acceptance of the status quo, I am taking my steps forward in trying to improve this environment.

I think Crusha in time you'll see UnrealWiki's development grow in reflection to UDKC's and this community (UDK.com). You will see that the vagrancy will shift into a immigration in skilled, community minded people. I think you will also see people of this community inspired by others, or leaders themselves, starting to take a more active role in the community they live in.

I think it is up to all of us - the workers, developers and teachers of this community to persevere and continue each of our own works. We have great people here, doing great things, with large implications to this community. I think all that is needed, is time to see the course though. Then fruits of the forward change we are all contributing to will become apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Saishy View Post
              Yes, clicking on the link I said on my previous post redirected me to that page.
              I think I am starting to piece it together. Did you used the link in my signature that says "Now with over 115 tutorials dedicated to teaching UDK" ? then was subsequently confused because you where not directed to tutorials? Then when looking for tutorials quickly on the main page you found it difficult to find the 3 links that directed you there?

As per your recommendations I have also added:

To the front page to aid in navigation. In time I hope to do a better 5 icon navigation system with higher quality artwork - but i am limited by my personal skill levels.

I have also bolded the important tutorial links on the main page of http://UDKC.info and corrected my signature to point to the tutorial index.

Comment

I think I am starting to piece it together. Did you used the link in my signature that says "Now with over 115 tutorials dedicated to teaching UDK" ? then was subsequently confused because you where not directed to tutorials? Then when looking for tutorials quickly on the main page you found it difficult to find the 3 links that directed you there?
                What? No, I entered the site normally and didn't even know you had tutorials. I was searching what the site had in the first place, which it fails to announce.

As per your recommendations I have also added:

To the front page to aid in navigation. In time I hope to do a better 5 icon navigation system with higher quality artwork - but i am limited by my personal skill levels.
                Stop, putting, UDK, on, every, single, thing.
                Seriously, everyone knows the site is about UDK, It's written everywhere, people will ignore anything if you write UDK on it.

On a fast search: The word UDK was found 26 times in text, 4 in images. The phrase "Unreal Development Kit" was found 4 times in text, 1 in images.
                You have around 35 references to the same thing, and just 3 paragraphs!

And there you make a image with a big glowing UDK with a small "tuts" written in black on a dark gray background. If you really want to do a image tabbing system, written what is important.

I have also bolded the important tutorial links on the main page of http://UDKC.info and corrected my signature to point to the tutorial index.
                What, it took me a fair amount of time to find it, even when I was consciously searching for it!
                When someone wanna find a tutorial, they will focus on the word "Tutorial".
                When they find this: "View UDKC's index of Unreal Development Kit tutorials"
                They will ignore it completely, +10 stealth bonus if it's bellow 3 big images. +5 stealth bonus if it's surrounded by text. +2 stealth bonus if the phrase is too long to catch anyone attention.

Fast Solution:

- Move the "Directory" table to the top, so it's the first thing in the site.
                - Rename "View UDKC's index of Unreal Development Kit tutorials" to "Tutorials"
                - Remove that new image. :2

------------------------

Not trying to be a douche or anything, I'm just used to being sarcastic.
                If I'm overdoing it you can poke me. D:

Comment

The reason you currently see a lot of UDK on things is because images also need to stand alone on websites and not just UDKC.info. The UDK word as a trademark of EPIC invokes feelings and understanding - in a website trying to establish an image as UDK relevant site it's important to be visible at times. Even more so on a website that might be glanced upon via the web. In seconds I need the website to establish what it is. In time this will be reduced as the website becomes more well known.

The word UDK will be found quite a bit on UDKC.info - seeing how it's in the title name. . If "You have around 35 references" to UDK is in referral to the links to UDK, that would be because of a bi-product of the template system we put in place for EPIC's legal requirements. (template:UDK)

I could remove the link that the template provides, however I find it helpful on tutorial pages. I do agree it adds a fair deal of purple to the page, i didn't think it added a great deal of difficulty to reading the site.

I agree that the tutorials aspect should be more visible as it is now a primary component of the website. Do keep in mind UDKC.info's is developing and the project was of a larger more broader scope when it first started. The sites design reflects this - as so does it is main page. UDKC.info still aims to be more then a just a index and it's front page is aiming to reflect this. The only diffrence now is that the sites other features are going to be moved offsite into other websites.

I understand a happy medium needs to be designed but I am still undecided as the direction I want to hammer down.

I thinking perhaps a central block that whisks you off to popular categories or pages. However this is all very new to UDKC, a site thats only 7 months old. I don't have the feedback a established website would have. I am working from speculation and the limited feedback I get on changes. Up until recently UDKC didn't even have enough tutorials to be really called a resource. It's only now that I am starting to finally be able to see what the community has offer -what we are missing and where to go from here. up until recently it was to soon to be building such things.

I think you'll find it will shape up to what your looking for in a few months time.

Comment

I think you'll find it will shape up to what your looking for in a few months time.
                    Spoiler: People don't go back to sites they once visited if they couldn't find what they were looking for, this is aggravated if the site does not even show any sign of what it does.

So, in a few months you will lose more visitors and contributors than you can afford for just not moving a single table up and renaming a single item.

As an example, I was willing to share tutorials as I got excited with the idea, now I'm willing to keep playing World of Warcraft :2

You may contact me any time you want, I would love to give some advices on how to improve it.

Best regards.

The word UDK will be found quite a bit on UDKC.info - seeing how it's in the title name. . If "You have around 35 references" to UDK is in referral to the links to UDK, that would be because of a bi-product of the template system we put in place for EPIC's legal requirements. (template:UDK)
                    If I was talking about the whole site ok, but the word was found 35 times in just a small welcome home page.
                    There is around 5 paragraphs, written by hand.
                    It's like reading a book that says every line "And he took..." "And he did..." "So he spoke..." "He found..." "and he walked..." "he... he... he..." over and over again.
                    Seriously, you do not need to written "UDK community" at every single opportunity.

Fast, open Amazon.com now. How much times can u read amazon on the main page?
                    Bad example? Open Wowpedia, the wiki for World of Warcraft have it written there around 9 times in text, and 8 of them are found on a RSS feed of patch notes.

Good:
                    Tutorials
                    Bad: Unreal Development Kit Tutorials

Comment

I would beg that Google & SEO would say otherwise. Comparing UDKC to amazon or a Wowpedia is not accurate as every site should be tailored to its market. I am sure the quality of the content of the website shines though what ever visual strain I may have as created as web designer. Irregardless I thank you for your insight and I hope that the website is more akin to your liking in the future. I am going to refrain on commenting more on this matter as it will no longer be productive.

Comment

Bringing this back up for visibility.

In the last 30 days there has been many changes and 15 tutorials added. I will be home Wednesday & Thursday this week to field questions and do further development.

Feedback is welcomed.

Comment

Despite some of the negativity directed towards your site, I like it. To have so many UDK/UT3 tutorials in listed on a single page is great.

It has officially been added to my favorites.

Nice Job Keep up the good work!

Comment

You said "irregardless". *fume*

Comment

@ Perly
                              Good to here, perhaps I'll see you in IRC as well

@Blade
                              I am irrespective and without regard to your sensitivity to my favourite word

Comment

Working...
                              X