JPEG importer request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
    Wouldn't the jpeg already be lossy when you convert it?
    Yes. The sickening taint of jpg cannot be expunged.

Comment

Not even the highest quality jpegs?

Comment

JPEG is a lossy compression format. You can't make it pixel accurate because the point of the algorithm is to have acceptable loss in detail but have good compression ratio. Nothing is for free.

Comment

Just convert the JPEG to a supported format if you really don't care about the compression artifacts and loss of color information that format causes.

The point is, you should be creating textures in a lossless format in the first place, and JPEG really doesn't belong in that category.

Comment

I don't know enough about the algorithms to say much, but even the higher qualities I know are too lossy. You shouldn't be compressing the image, there's a reason when you save a .bmp, it's like 3 megs and when you save the same thing as a .jpg it's like 250kb.

Comment

There are algorithms that are also lossless compression too; PNG is such a format.

Comment

Well yeah -- it's basically an lzip that's directly openable by image editors.
                Originally posted by UnrealPlayer View Post
                Not even the highest quality jpegs?
                Simply, no.

Comment

No one likes PNG, it's all about DDS. Mostly because of the DXT compression, because that will save memory on the video card since most cards natively support DXT.

Comment

No one likes PNG, it's all about DDS.
                    Depends on the application. I use PNG for pretty everything since it's compressed and lossless. Although for anything more complex, storing them in PSD is great now that Unreal Engine 3 supports that format.

Storing original textures in DDS is a bad idea too since that is also a lossy compression algorithm.

Comment

I downloaded gimp.Its pretty good and has a normal map generator but ill probably end up just saving money and buy photoshop in a month or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X