JPEG importer request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPEG importer request

This is a request for a feature in the next update of UDK. Could you please please add the ability to import jpegs to use as textures?!! In the content browser I can import basically any other image format like .png and .tga to use as textures with my materials but not .jpegs! It really annoys me because .jpeg is the most commonly used image file and I dont have photoshop so I cant convert them. I have tried converting jpegs in windows paint to bmp and png but it ruins the picture quality. So if the there is a way now that I can import jpegs id like to know but if not than this would be a really useful update.

The reason jpegs are not supported, is because the file format is highly compressed and ultimately lossy, resulting in visual artifacts and other unpleasantness in appearance. File formats such as bmp, dds, tga and png do not do this by default, and thus are supported. Images should not be compressed for size before import - photoshop as an example will compress tga files which is undesireable.

For those reasons, I would not expect to ever see an importer for such a file type.

If you absolutely must use jpegs, there are a million different applications that can save them as other file types. Alternatively you can acquire Gimp / Gimpshop for a high-end free image manipulator.

Comment

Oh well. But thanks for letting me know.

Comment

.jpgs are bad for textures bro. Like Ambershee said, they're way too lossy for decent textures. There are plenty of converters and free image editing programs that can convert for you. Splashup is supposed to be really good, the UI is modeled after Photoshop and has layers, but GIMP is probably the best one to go for.

Comment

Import a JPG that was compressed with anything less than highest quality and it's going to look really terrible in game

Comment

Way to sum it up for us. Even with highest quality it's still lossy.

Comment

Plus, jpgs can't have alpha channels which are really useful in games

Comment

Well does anyone know of any sites with free textures that are in .bmp or a format .UDK can read? So far I havnt been able to find any.

Comment

The worst part about JPegs is it encodes in frequency space by a fourier transform and "approximates" out the high-frequency information... so it loses a lot of high-contrast detail...

... the kind that you WANT in your textures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringing_artifacts#JPEG

Comment

You're not making a game using free textures, that won't even work for the majority of the assets.

Comment

Yeah and it doesn't take much to convert a JPEG to a PNG. As you know, MS Paint does it -- but better solutions are programs like GIMP (as stated above) -- which are 100% free.

Comment

http://www.irfanview.com/

Here you go. This can convert between a lot of common file formats.

Comment

Wouldn't the jpeg already be lossy when you convert it?

Comment

The answer to this is "get photoshop", you're not going to make any good textures without it.

Or Gimp, I guess, if you swing that way.

Comment

Pfff Paint makes some awesome stuff, look at this: http://www.ubersite.com/m/84167

Comment

Working...
                              X