X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK web plugin ??

(Sorry for my english)

For Epic

Does anyone know if Epic have plan to realease a web plugin for exporting your build directly to the web. Like Unity 3D engine do.

Thanks

No. There will be no web based UDK (and to be fair, what's the point?).

Comment

Allthough browser capability has grown a lot in the last few years, most of them probably wouldn't even be able to run games with such good graphics...

Comment

Epics goal I presume is the proliferation of their engine. However to make a engine web based unless there is some change in standards, I doubt will be running unreal level detail any time soon.

Comment

People do run at that detail in browsers, actually. They can run the game natively and throw the video right into your browser. InstantAction is a project doing just that and had Assassin's Creed, Braid, and Secrets of Monkey Island running from Firefox with no problem at all at the latest GDC and Pax East.

Comment

Well. How about just playing this and then talk guys?
            1920x1080 fullscreen lovely resolution with good graphics aswell.
            I think its apparent from this demonstration that you can do some pretty cool things inside a webbrowser.

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/game/bullseye/?guest

Comment

Thanks for the link Notorious!

Comment

@aldaron07: that's video-streaming technology not a webbrowser compatible engine.
                @notorious P.I.G: this might be true. Even though you don't know how scalable a level is and how many NPC's are possible in a fight.
                I played the demonstration now several times because many people are thinking the same way you do and I must say. Nope that are not graphics that are comparable with games which were developed with UE3 or Crysis.
                The graphics are comparable with the F.E.A.R. First/Second Encounter or Source Engine.
                Sure it's better but really that good to say that it is comparable with a AAA Engine like Crysis or UE3?
                No way.
                The graphics are outstanding even revolutionary for native-browser games but where it ends.

But this is just my opinion. I compare interstellar marines everytime when the topic comes up with UE3 oder crysis games... and it's always loosing.

Anyway, I will try the game as soon as it's release and when we can really see if the engine can be comparable with native-pc engines.

Comment

Originally posted by junkens View Post
                  @aldaron07: that's video-streaming technology not a webbrowser compatible engine.
                  OnLive and Gaikai are using video-stream technology, InstantAction is actually playing the game from the files on your computer like any other application and embedding it into your browser of choice with a plug-in. That said, the newer IA will allow you to either stream your games using Gaikai or allow you to smartly stream the actual game files to you allowing you to play the game natively within minutes while it downloads in the background. It's very much like Steam on crack... in your browser.

The beauty of it is it can be done with any game made with any engine, from Tribes 2 made with the Torque Game Engine 10 years ago to UT3/GoW made yesteryear. You don't even have to make your game with the technology in mind, it'll reportedly do it with little hassle.

Comment

@aldaron07: oh okay. Sorry I thought about the other things.
                    Well this technology is very nice but we can't controll it :/
                    Just have to wait for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoMatte View Post
                      Allthough browser capability has grown a lot in the last few years, most of them probably wouldn't even be able to run games with such good graphics...
                      Irrelevant. Unity3D's Web plugin, InstantAction, or QuakeLive for that matter, are not executed by the browser. You simply download the whoe engine and run it from within a browser window. But the browser itself doesn't do anything.

True browser based games make use of HTML and JavaScript.

Comment

This is nice
                        http://www.instantaction.com/game/th...pecial-edition

Comment

The link on Kotaku
                          http://ca.kotaku.com/5528245/you-can...side-this-post

Comment

Hello,
                            does anyone think there could be a possibility to write an own plugin for firefox for example. The intention of the plugin is a certain pack of files will be "installed" on the client's computer like the engine and so on. The plugin has to take place in a rectangle area in the web browser and for example loading map data from the server and rendering with hardware acceleration.

Has anyone experiences in writing own custom browser plugins? (for firefox)
                            Any hint would be very kind.

Comment

Isn't the whole point of a browser game gone when you need to actually have the files yourself?

Comment

Working...
                              X