• Show
Clear All

Just to show how bad it is...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Originally posted by obihb View Post

Man that's lucky. At least for me. I can a 3GB RAM machine and frame rate almost never goes above 16 on those big maps...

Comment

Well for me, everything works fine. At least for my graphic card it's fine. On GDC level a have from 22-30fps bu for GeForce 9600GT it's not bad. Especialy in windowed mode with editor in background.

Maybe you should diasble DX10 inconfig (if enabled it).

Comment

Here I get 23 fps.

Here, I get 45 fps, but it's not normal, normaly it's 60 or 65.

On all the map a get 23 fps.
          So, for me too the performance is bad.

Computer :
          HD4850X2
          4GB Ram
          Win 7 64b
          DX9

Comment

Great framerates over here. What kind of GPU do you use guys?

Comment

Yeaaah, after enabling crossfire in my drivers setting, I can't launch the ineditor playing.
              The editor crash just after saying "Failed to creat editor preview world".

[EDIT] Disabling it change anything, the map still crashing the editor...
              But my own map work fine !
              (Of course I have the lastest drivers for my cg card)

Comment

Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
                Great framerates over here. What kind of GPU do you use guys?
                My low frame rate is definitely not hardware related. March UDK runs WAAAY faster than this. Core2Quad 6700 and Geforce 285.

Comment

People, do you read the release infos? They make changes to the rendering, like more dynamic shadowing, moveable dominant lights, whatever. They of course cost performance. Switch those things off completly and make the levels like they were in older builds. You'll probably see, I havn't tried and I probably won't. But if you make the shadows more dynamic in a build that hasn't any of the new support, you'll see the framerate drop is *really* heavy there, like down to 2 FPS.

So what you see is not so bad if you know what's going on...

Comment

The new map is quite slow for me as well even with a 275 gpu (Iguess it's the shadows pushing the thing up) but everything else works great. (i5 - 3.06, 4 gigs ddr3 and a 275 gpu).

But.... I tried installing this release on my older pc (Core-2 duo, 8800gtx and 4 gigs DDR2) and you guys are right... frame rate is going way down compared to march... not necessary a bad thing if you ask me thought.

Comment

Originally posted by eAlex79 View Post
                      People, do you read the release infos? They make changes to the rendering, like more dynamic shadowing, moveable dominant lights, whatever. They of course cost performance. Switch those things off completly and make the levels like they were in older builds. You'll probably see, I havn't tried and I probably won't. But if you make the shadows more dynamic in a build that hasn't any of the new support, you'll see the framerate drop is *really* heavy there, like down to 2 FPS.

So what you see is not so bad if you know what's going on...
                      I know all this and if you read my previous posts you'll see that I did various tests with regards to lighting.. real time shadows.. etc. I do in fact know what's going on.

If you can explain why light maps render slower now compared to March release I believe you know what you are talking about. Otherwise you are just guessing at something that you did not even test out for yourself.

This kind of slow down is extreme in the same situation as you would have for the same level in another build of the UDK.. (March).. which means there is something wrong. You can't have a frame drop of 10x less fps in the same level and just say.. oh.. it's ok.. it's normal. No it's not normal, not if you are rendering the same thing.

Sure, rendering real time shadows is more hard on your PC but this is not the problem here though. The problem here is that precomputed lighting is extremely slow. That is not normal.. not if you consider that in the previous build of UDK the pre-computed lighting was very fast. It's even possible there is another deeper problem that is eating up computing power and because lighting is inherently an expensive feature it pushes over the edge. That is not possible for me to track down.

There is some kind of problem in April build or it exposes a problem with drivers or something else.

Comment

I know all this and [...]

There is some kind of problem in April build or it exposes a problem with drivers or something else.
                        Totaly agree.
                        I think the same things.

Comment

Guys just out of curiosity. Do you still have the same frame issues with a cooked map/game?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
                            Guys just out of curiosity. Do you still have the same frame issues with a cooked map/game?
                            Good question, I'll try to see.
                            [EDIT]Cooking failed... Yeah !

Comment

Originally posted by CreativeCoding View Post
                              That sounds like a graphics problem.
                              Yes well, it may be a graphic card/PCI bus/whatever compatibility issue, but still -- it's just bloody WPF/XAML and should be sooooooo easy to fix... Once again: I've never had much use for open source (always been a pro-Microsoft kind of person -- shoot me!!!), but now I wish I could lay my hands on some of the UE source code. Two new releases down the drain: how frustrating is that???

Comment

Ok, so this is probably not the most sane thing to do but just to say I've tried it, I did a clean Windows install and .. behold...

This here proves my point about the rendering speeds. Although I still have no clue why it was slow before the format.. the April version definitely exposed some kind of software related problem on my PC.

I'm just glad it's running as it should now.

Comment

Working...
                                X