Noob to Game Design, Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob to Game Design, Help?

Hello everyone, I'm currently a 17 year old highschool student and I was hoping to finally get into some Game design. I've been playing videogames ever since the Super Nintendo back in the day.

After some research I decided to go with UDK because I know most games nowadays use the Unreal engine and I've seen what it can do. It's amazing in the first place that they decided to release it to the public. But I have a few questions before I jump into UDK and would appreciate your help with getting an answer to them.

1. I have no prior experience, can I still learn it?
    2. Is it user friendly?
    3. Is it possible to learn Uscript with just a computer?
    4. Is there something to help me with learning Uscript?
    5. Should I buy the Mastering Unreal Technology series? Will it help?

And then also, I heard about another Engine called Unity which some people use. So I must ask....

1. Is it easier to use than UDK?
    2. Does it have more freedom than UDK?
    3. Is Uscript easier to learn than C#?
    4. Should I start with Unity instead of UDK?

Thank you in advance to those who answer these questions, and please keep any bias out of the questions concerning Unity and UDK. I want to get the most help out of this topic since me and my group are planning to be using up quite some amount of time learning how to do all of this.

Thank you!

1. Yes, you can learn without prior experience.

2. For the bang you get, the UDK is user friendly. There are plenty of areas where you can get very down and dirty with some awesome output, but for basic purposes it gets the job done with minimal hassle.

3. Yes, it is possible to learn UScript with just a computer.

4. There are tons of tutorials available to help with learning UScript.

5. It will help quite a bit, but do keep in mind that book series was made with the Unreal Tournament 3 tools in mind. While UDK and UT3 use the same engine, the UDK (being an updated version of the engine and its tools) offers more features and there are some noticeable differences between the versions. But that does not mean the book series is not good. It's still a wealth of information well worth the price tag should you be serious to give UE3 a try.

What would help you get started quicker without prior experience would be the 3D Buzz video tutorials created specifically for the UDK. I cannot tell you just how incredibly valuable those videos are to people starting out with the UDK and its tools. Half of the questions asked on this forum every day can be answered just by watching the first set of videos on basic editor usage and the editor's UI.

Unity: It is against the forum rules to compare game engines. While it may seem biased, it keeps threads from evolving into flame wars and remain focused on development and troubleshooting.

I would suggest you take a hard look at features offered by both engines, watch a couple videos (YouTube has tons) of people at work in both, and make your own informed decision based on what would be easiest for you and what you want to get out of the experience. You will be the one using it for your projects, not community members who will have their own preference one way or the other.

Comment

I've heard things though that UDK just makes it seem like your heavily modding scripts instead of actually creating your own. Can you tell me anything about that?

Comment

You don't get access to the source code so you're going to be dealing with UScript for practically everything.

UDK comes with a stripped down version of Unreal Tournament 3 (three vehicles, three weapons + physics gun, a few remade UT3 maps, etc). While you can write your own stuff without a problem, the stripped UT3 scripts are in place as as a working demonstration of the UDK's possibilities. You can either use them in your own project (with or without modifications) or write your own stuff. Most find it easier just to modify what's already there.

But since you don't get source access you are bound by some rules.

Comment

I myself have found learning UScript and working with the UDK a great heklp towards further understanding OOP.

Trouble I had before when learning languages like C++ from scratch a lot of the time now when Im working in such languages I feel so much better and I think what I learned when working with UScript has been a major help. Another good reason I think to play around with it and try some stuff out.

Comment

Working...
          X