This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New UDK Competition

So It seems UDK is getting more competition on the indie front and this will be good for UDK and us indie developers.Cryengine 3 is going free ....Yes it is guys:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...e-plans-emerge

Do yall think this is good or bad for UDK?

I think it will spice up features when one has better features that the other and will be great for us while this happens.What do yall think?

There is also a line in the article saying and I quote:
    "Unreal – a close competitor to Crytek – recently stated that the free Unreal Development Kit (UDK) is ‘not watered down in any way’ when compared to the full-priced UE3."

What do yall think about this statement and what could it mean.

well, I'm a little apprehensive, since they haven't made an official announcement on they're site. at this point, I'd say that they're mauling it around in they're heads, but don't expect it anytime in the near future. if they do release it, I'd say that; before they can be considered big competition to udk, they'll have to make it more accessible by releasing a lot of documentation (from what I've seen, the cryengine 2 documentation looks great) and maybe a few video tuts.

Comment

I think it's a great time to be an indie.

Comment

What she said!

Comment

I concur, this trend has made me happy

Comment

yea Im really excited hopefully this one is good enough for actual game development note just nice demos,learning,and portfolio use.I had a hard time creating this thread the admins kept deleting it soon as I created it.

Comment

Well accordin to site it's been said by Yerli - God Emperor in Crytek. If he say they want to make it free, it will be free. Honestly they current strategy (we give license only to guys who can do something that will look cool and dont screw our engine name), do not work. Hands on who know AAA titles on CE2/3 ? (except Crysis..). It's gonna be good oprtunty to get new people involed into engine.

Anyway Im personally excited. Ureal is good, have nice tools (Cascade, Kismet, Static Mesh Editor, Anim Editor (yeah, Anim Ed is far superior than one in sandbox), physical asset editor (well dont see any in sandbox), and so on), but CE2/3 is far better suited for large exterior areas with heavy foliage/coverage.

they'll have to make it more accessible by releasing a lot of documentation
              I rather prefer to get soft and wait for documentation than get documentation and do nothing ;p.

Comment

From what I gather, it's free for educational use only.

Comment

Working...
                X