Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I can understand that.
    It's just better to secure the domain early, and get hosting sorted first off, so you don't have to deal with the drama of a server migration, potentially losing most of your forum userbase.

I can host it on the BPS domain itself, but that'd mean it's be http://yoursubdomain.bulletproof-studios.com.au, somewhat long, don't ya think

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh, ok. I'd like to keep things free until we have a certainty of success though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RhinoMatte View Post
    What domain do you need? Just the URL? Then take a look above you .
    Nah, for professional hosting, you need a .com, or other Top Level Domain.
    Can get one from www.crazydomains.com.au for $AU9.00 per year.

If you can get that, I can host it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
    unfortunately I do dont deal with any free forums
    What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    unfortunately I do dont deal with any free forums

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What domain do you need? Just the URL? Then take a look above you .

Well, if it ever starts, I'm in.

I have a feeling a project like this would best be done episodically, with each episode exemplifying a different genre e.g. episode one is in a medieval fantasy third person hack and slash RPG, episode two is set in a modern-day FPS with gameplay mechanics based on realism, episode three is an open world sci fi adventure, etc. The advantages of such an episodic format are:

big list cut by RhinoMatte for readability

So step one would be to draft a design document for episode 1. We'd have to agree what the focus is for episode 1.

What do you think?
    I like this idea. One thing though, we should try to keep things relatively simple for the first episode, I think. Something like BigDaz suggested. Something without a complicated storyline. If you have an idea, feel free to post it in here or on the forums I provided. I'm getting to one myself, but it's not completely formed inside my head.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can host it free on the BPS servers if you provide a domain, RhinoMatte

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's good, Flak! .

I was surprised by the amounts of replies. There are some great ideas here, but I think we need a forum of our own to discuss them without spamming this one. I'll put one up and edit this and the first post when it's online.

EDIT: Forum link: http://udkcommunitygame.freeforums.org/

This should keep these forums from being overflooded. You can still post in here however

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well if I can find time for it, I would love to do this

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Like I said it would be put to a vote for each episode/game. So know is is left out in decisions.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hm.

JDS has a pretty good idea. But I think some will feel left out if they have a great idea for say... ep 3 but we never get past Ep1. Maybe if we split into teams and some worked on 1 while some worked on 2 and some worked on 3.

This way, everyone could do what they wanted right away. For example, I like the sci-fi world a lot more and am not super interested in FPS games. But say we never got to 3 or spent a longer time on 2 or 1 for that matter.

I think in a game like a racing game or platformer game we could merge all three tyopes of design.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, if it ever starts, I'm in.

I have a feeling a project like this would best be done episodically, with each episode exemplifying a different genre e.g. episode one is in a medieval fantasy third person hack and slash RPG, episode two is set in a modern-day FPS with gameplay mechanics based on realism, episode three is an open world sci fi adventure, etc. The advantages of such an episodic format are:
    • Counteracts the negative effects of design by committee- We won't spend months trying to fit a thousand ideas into a single haphazard implementation. We will spend less time creating several smaller games which fit fewer ideas into a robust implementation. Everyone takes turns.
    • Well established milestones- the episodic format implies a deadline (unless you're like Valve. Yes, low blow), which helps project management.
    • The previous episode is the next episode's beta- This simplifies playtesting significantly while still having the psychological effect of releasing a game.
    • Synchronization with new UDK features and documentation- Some of us might not know how to use feature X, which is new to the latest release. This way, we can play with feature X next episode, when it is well documented.
    • Exploration of different gameplay mechanics- some of us want to make an open-world RPG, others want to make a gritty FPS. This way, everyone has a turn at coding their dream gametypes.
    • Artists of different skill sets are not left out- you might be great at designing levels with an industrial aesthetic, but what about the guy who knows how to model realistic Classical architecture?
    • In the end, the resulting code and assets will be applicable to more than one genre, so other teams can pick them up.

So step one would be to draft a design document for episode 1. We'd have to agree what the focus is for episode 1.

What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nope, this is fine

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is a good idea, I'd take part.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im really up for it...I might try to start on and a svn,site and maybe a poll to decide the project genre and type...just give me a day and I can start organizing it but its will be up to the community to keep it alive and going.I have some software for project management for game development

Leave a comment:

Working...
X