Just an idea. Community Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I also agree. I'm just starting out with this engine and that'd be really good.

A racing type of game would be pretty neat.

But yes, the organizing would have to be done and sadly I have a lot of other things going on right now to set it up. But I wouuld be happy to contribute.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I love the idea. Something like this would be a great way for beginners like me to get started with making a portfolio, without having a whole team putting up with your noobish self.
    And I agree with BigDaz, some kind of racing game or something with minimal storyline would make things a lot simpler for a community effort.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've seen this suggested many times and it's great in theory but never seen it actually work in practice.

I would suggest a neutral-themed game, one without any sort of storyline like a racing game that many people can contribute to, e.g. cars, tracks, music etc without having the need for a lot of planning and organisation.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sounds like a great idea to me. I'd be willing to help out when I can.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Actually that's not a bad idea, but organizing it, will be complicated. It can't work without 1-2 persons in leading role. It would take a SVN as minimum and a wiki/forum for developing and discussing a basic concept.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Just an idea. Community Game

Just an idea. Community Game

We tried this out in another engine's forums (Flak, before you lock my post because of this sentence, could you just tell me to remove it if it's breaking the rules? Thanks). A community game.

Here's how it works. First we start by getting our great minds together and thinking of some realistic ideas. Just by posting and then someone puts together the great ideas in 1 post.

Afterwards, you can freely contribute by sending levels or models or even code, for which you get credit, ofcourse. The best contributions (if there are a lot) get picked out and this is put together into a game.

This isn't guaranteed to work at all, but I think it might be a good idea for the following reasons:
    • Beginners (and more experienced users alike) get to build a portfolio without having to build an entire game themselves
    • If you have something that you can't use in your own project, this game might be able to use it
    • We all learn
    • The "veterans" get some variation from their own projects (?)
    • If it gets released as open source, it's an ideal source for learning.

Let me know something about this, ok? .

EDIT: Forum link: http://udkcommunitygame.freeforums.org/

This should keep these forums from being overflooded. You can still post in here however
Working...
X