This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source or UDK for my project?

I'm looking for an engine to do my new game idea, and I stumbled upon Source and Udk.

I played a little with both tools, and I can't decide which one I should use.
    Here is the compilation of my game idea:

http://www.disturbedprogrammer.com/i...ects&Itemid=69

Source seems to have much more documentation and a bigger community, but the C++ programming is non-intuitive. There are many already-done scripts and tutorials, but it seems everything is just a hack and the whole code is supported by adhesive tape.

UDK have Unreal Script, which is more intuitive, and the tools are much more friendly to use, but as the tool is new, so is the community. There aren't many advanced things and I would probably expend more time trying to do something basic than actually doing something.

Maybe I just didn't got the naming for source coding, and it seems strange to open a topic here. But I'm confused D:

Having used Source extensively (about 4 and a half years), I really struggle to recommend it for anything over Unreal. I was on a Half Life 2 mod that has decided to move to UDK.

Technically, both engines are possible to do your project on, there is no issue either way. You did bring up SteamCloud, however you'd only get that if you got Steamworks (its not provided to Source mods in any way, shape or form unless Valve sees fit to put your mod on Steam). UDK has the benefits of being standalone, being a better engine, more regularly updated and supported, the list goes on. I just can't think of any reason that you could justidy taking Source over UDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraiyth View Post
      Having used Source extensively (about 4 and a half years), I really struggle to recommend it for anything over Unreal. I was on a Half Life 2 mod that has decided to move to UDK.

Technically, both engines are possible to do your project on, there is no issue either way. You did bring up SteamCloud, however you'd only get that if you got Steamworks (its not provided to Source mods in any way, shape or form unless Valve sees fit to put your mod on Steam). UDK has the benefits of being standalone, being a better engine, more regularly updated and supported, the list goes on. I just can't think of any reason that you could justidy taking Source over UDK.
      I think the main point is the age of both tools, Source already have many already-done scripts.

Like, if I want to do a Third-Person camera, I should be able to find a good script or tutorial and finish it quite fast, if I got any errors I should be able to get an awnser in forums. While in Unreal I would probably expend many days tweaking and discussing at the forum.

I don't want to expend 3-4 years in the same project like I did with Anime Brawl, I remember starting the project when the community was new, and now I could do the same thing in a few days. t.t

Comment

There cant be any comparison threads as stated in the forum rules.

http://forums.epicgames.com/announcement.php?f=370&a=1

Comment

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
          There cant be any comparison threads as stated in the forum rules.

http://forums.epicgames.com/announcement.php?f=370&a=1
          [03] Keep discussions on topic! Please refrain from discussions not pertaining to our games or company. There are plenty of other places in the vast Internet to discuss your political or social views. This includes Unreal vs XYZ Game discussions.
          The rule is not clear as it says about keeping the topic and discussing about unreal vs game X.
          Engines aren't commented. Neither advices threads.

The main topic is not unreal vs source, I'm asking if unreal can support my project effectively, and using source as a backup if can't.

Also your post is also agains't rules, under Spam category.
          So is this.

Comment

Agent is correct. While would have liked everyone to realize the rule runs across all of our games and engines, obviously it needed clarification and has been updated.

Comment

Working...
            X