Procedural generated universe HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming integration of Emotiv's EPOC headset with the UDK's editor - it will read your game idea out of your head, fill in the blanks with the Create Random Game functionality and make it for you! Brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That sort of attitude is elitist and arrogant. If a tool is there to make people's lives easier, we should be encouraging its use as much as possible!

Plus it means we have to deal with fewer "I have vague ideas and no relevant skills; how do I make a game using zero effort" threads

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You should probably edit that post, we don't want EVERYONE finding out about that button

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You guys are way too pessimistic. This sort of thing should be easy with Unreal!

And you know what? It is. Here's how: You use the "Create Random Game" button.

Here's a screenshot of it on my editor, highlighted in red:

All you need to do is click the button and leave your computer for a few hours. Unreal's patented GameGen technology will:
    • Generate fully-compiling, accurate UnrealScript code for all your gameplay mechanics, from physics to AI
    • Hexedit the .exe if necessary for greater performance / optimisation
    • Generate all assets - models, textures, animations
    • Create 10-15 maps, run simulations of player behaviour on them, and use that data to revise the maps and make them even more enjoyable

All that's left for you to do is to package the game and distribute it.

It's truly amazing. I've generated 5 games this weekend; my games industry friends all think I'm some kind of game-making superhero, but I don't dare tell them it's all down to GameGen!

Unfortunately, there is a small catch with all of this. The game generation is completely automatic, so you might not get the exact game you wanted. But that's OK, you can just keep trying. And any macro recorder can automate your clicks, so you can go down to the beach and sip piƱa coladas while GameGen does all the work for you

HTH,
    -Floomi

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Simmer down, I smell incoming Flak You two lovers go grab IM and talk sweet nothings to each other there.

As for the topic, no, the UDK is not suited for this, and pretty much nothing is. I've followed the infinity engine for awhile, it's very cool, but it is ultimately a tech demo. It's been a tech demo for years now. It sounds to me like you're new to this, so to just give it to you straight, you won't be able to do that. You could spend years learning the necessary skill set to make an engine like infinity, but then you won't be making a game, you'll be making an engine.

Be realistic, why do you need everything procedurally generated? If that's code for "well I can't make any art", go find an artist. As much as we'd all love to have an infinitely scalable universe (I do sci fi stuff, trust me, I would too), figure out how you can approximate it. For example, you could start outside of a planet, use level streaming as you got close to load a more or less "fog level", while transitioning to a "on the planet" level. There are creative ways to simulate the effect. But the #1 thing to do wrong is if you're starting is to say "I want to make a game that multimillion dollar studios can't realistically create". Distill what you think is "cool" about your game idea, and then find ways to fake/approximate it within the existing bounds of available technology.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
    Isn't you who said that people give up on things before trying, and here you are telling someone to give up before asking about licensing? What integrity. And there are a ton of videos on it, I just like that one the most. Don't you have some flash to figure out how to integrate or something?
    Thnx for reminding me.But if you visit there site it says in bold we are not licensing to individual users and doesnt provide a evaluation license or kit and will not license the engine until Infinity:Quest for Earth..An I'm happy that I put such a impression on you that you track and remember my post and helpful incite.It is such a pleasure to have haters/stalkers...lol.But I have noticed you joined one month after me and you have 303 post while I only have 122 in this site. What do you think that means...But you can continue to comment,later.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Isn't you who said that people give up on things before trying, and here you are telling someone to give up before asking about licensing? What integrity. And there are a ton of videos on it, I just like that one the most. Don't you have some flash to figure out how to integrate or something?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
    I usually just ignore everything you say because I've found you have no idea what you're talking about, just so you know.
    Lol dude I do that same thing for yours and ambershee's....how ironic (because every thread I see you post or him and sometimes its your reason too,lol...)

btw a more usefull video of the IA engine tech....search more before posting the first thing you see:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZZRDIhtVo

And a procedural City on a planet in the Infinity MMO btw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsVzwX-t63U&NR=1

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I usually just ignore everything you say because I've found you have no idea what you're talking about, just so you know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you would find the most outdated demo of it from 4 years ago on a ATI 3600...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Neither did I but I haven't been keeping up with it. I read about it a while ago and it's basically the perfect engine for an MMO idea we had if we had the source to write the server system for it, but never really bothered reading about what it's actually going to be used for. Well we don't want to generate procedurally really, but... yeah, I know that it's being used for a game, they have a prototype release of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE

The engine is amazing, though.

EDIT: Found some info on licensing, I'll have to email them sometime.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well thats because crayfish isnt gonna license to some ppl who just wanna do the same thing he is and doesnt have 10-50k+.Plus he is doing a MMO.So he wont license to you or some one else who doesnt have lawyers a well endowed company with large pockets....my point is your wasting your time

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Had a quick look, can't see anything on licensing that engine itself.
    I guess there'd be no harm for you to email the guy and ask

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That engine is pretty badass. You know if it's being released for commercial stuff or if the guy is using it inhouse?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    there are engines out there: check http://www.infinity-universe.com ... its procedural, created by a single person

and afaik, Unreal is not designed to support this kind of level generation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X