Loading external objects during game play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loading external objects during game play

Id like to know if anyone knows how to load external objects from external resources into UDK during game play. Like, for example, Im creating an avatar system and I would like to allow players to import the avatars into the UDK developed game......or do I need to write custom script for this?

The only way to create new textures at runtime would be drawing to ScriptedTextures pixel-by-pixel. Of course you need to find a way to load the image data first. (DLLBind might do the trick here.)
    Needless to say that any reasonably useful avatar image would consist of hundreds or thousands of pixels, causing either a long pause while drawing to the ScriptedTexture (or even a runaway loop crash) or requiring you to implement some incremental drawing routine.

Comment

Or to put it shortly: yes, but it's not easy to achieve and really not all that practical to do so.

Comment

So, basically....a custom game engine would do better

Comment

The other way of doing it is to create the package at run time; then to dynamically load it in.

So, basically....a custom game engine would do better
          Sure, as long as you feel that remaking an engine like Unreal Engine is easier than making a texture importer.

Comment

Highly doubt that remaking an engine is a good option because UDK is just the definition of what a game engine should be like....Thanks

Comment

There are other engines that would make it easier to do. I'm not sure if DLLBind would work because it doesn't give access to the rendering pipeline I don't think, but not totally sure if it would or wouldn't work for something like that since I haven't used it for much.

Comment

I'm not sure if DLLBind would work because it doesn't give access to the rendering pipeline I don't think, but not totally sure if it would or wouldn't work for something like that since I haven't used it for much.
                DLLBind would work just fine, because as stipulated above you can get the pixel data, transfer it to Unrealscript and use a ScriptedTexture to do the job. The other way of doing it as I've said is to create a new package at runtime and then ask Unrealscript to load it up.

Comment

Oh okay. I think your way would be easier.

Comment

Yeah, sounds easier

Comment

Working...
                    X