• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a UDK game from cd

anyone know how to do this run a udk game from cd

i'd try installing your game, then copying the whole folder to cd

Comment

Probably needs to be run with a commandline argument to specify where to generate the configuration files.

Comment

Are read / load speeds from DVD any faster? Reading and loading from a CD could prove fairly slow.

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
          Probably needs to be run with a commandline argument to specify where to generate the configuration files.
          there is one?

Comment

I think that might need Source access to do this

Comment

I'd assume that if it cannot write files to the usual relative location, it'll just read those that are there and be done with it. Much like the 'read-only' trick to prevent overwritten configs in UT3.

Comment

You don't need source access to do this at all. First, install your own game into the folder "YourUDKGame", and then burn that folder (the folder itself, not its contents) into the CD or DVD so when you open the CD or DVD, the first thing you see is a folder called "YourUDKGame". All you have to do next is make a little file called "autorun.inf" in the top level of your CD or DVD's filesystem (that is, outside of any folders)

Then, copy the following code into autorun.inf:
                Code:
                [autorun]
                open=\YourUDKGame\Binaries\UDK.exe
                icon=YourSpiffyIcon.ico
                Of course, when following these directions, substitute "YourUDKGame" and "YourSpiffyIcon" with your own names, as suits your tastes.

A word to the wise: it's not a good idea to run a game directly off a disc, simply because it's faster to load levels, textures, meshes, etc. from the hard drive. This is why most current games have a disc which contains the installer for the game (and maybe a disc which more or less proves to the system that you bought the game), rather than containing the game already installed and playable from the disk. If this is what you want, simply copy the installer into the CD or DVD, then make sure autorun opens the installer instead.

You can use this for other executables and programs too, not just UDK. Some computers even support doing this with USB sticks.

Comment

Well, to be more specific, you can run it from the disc, but you'd need Source access to be able to save data to the hard drive

Comment

I don't see why you need source access to do that at all.

Comment

I have a feeling I'm thinking of something else similar to this that'd need source...

Comment

I've done this with a USB drive, and it worked, but I had to download some .dlls (from dllfiles.com, which surprisingly enough is a reputable site). That made the game work, but the editor still ****ed up for me. Should be the same deal with a CD/DVD.

Comment

yeah i've run a game off a usb key as a demo, but i had to download a UDK install to the computer to get all the required stuff installed on it. CD is different, to some degree, because you can't write to a CD .. but as long as you don't need to mod the INI files or something, that should be pretty irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by JDS View Post
                            You don't need source access to do this at all. First, install your own game into the folder "YourUDKGame", and then burn that folder (the folder itself, not its contents) into the CD or DVD so when you open the CD or DVD, the first thing you see is a folder called "YourUDKGame". All you have to do next is make a little file called "autorun.inf" in the top level of your CD or DVD's filesystem (that is, outside of any folders)

Then, copy the following code into autorun.inf:
                            Code:
                            [autorun]
                            open=\YourUDKGame\Binaries\UDK.exe
                            icon=YourSpiffyIcon.ico
                            Of course, when following these directions, substitute "YourUDKGame" and "YourSpiffyIcon" with your own names, as suits your tastes.

A word to the wise: it's not a good idea to run a game directly off a disc, simply because it's faster to load levels, textures, meshes, etc. from the hard drive. This is why most current games have a disc which contains the installer for the game (and maybe a disc which more or less proves to the system that you bought the game), rather than containing the game already installed and playable from the disk. If this is what you want, simply copy the installer into the CD or DVD, then make sure autorun opens the installer instead.

You can use this for other executables and programs too, not just UDK. Some computers even support doing this with USB sticks.
                            i realize this but i'm entering this into a contest which requires you to make a game and run it from cd

Comment

Originally posted by eTrust View Post
                              Well, to be more specific, you can run it from the disc, but you'd need Source access to be able to save data to the hard drive
                              No you don't. You just burn the same files that you would use for digital distribution to a disk and make an autorun file, why would you need the source to compile it?

Comment

Working...
                              X