Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

How do you reduce the overwhelming brown look in UDK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you reduce the overwhelming brown look in UDK?

UDK (and Gears and all that) have that terrible oversaturation of brown. How do you get rid of that, adjusting it back to a more balanced, wider-range colour saturation?

Games in the Unreal engine by default aren't like that, it's an aesthetic choice made by the game designers. If you wish to mess with the Gears of War game to change it you can probably change some post processing for color saturation and levels.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      Games in the Unreal engine by default aren't like that, it's an aesthetic choice made by the game designers. If you wish to mess with the Gears of War game to change it you can probably change some post processing for color saturation and levels.
      Do you know how to do this in UDK? Where are these settings?

I remember when I played Gears 1, I shut off a ton of post-processing effects and it removed a lot of that brown, and made it look a lot better.

Comment

In Unreal Editor you can find the postprocess settings, which allow color-correction/manipulation, in the World Properties.

Comment

Originally posted by rahatropa View Post
          In Unreal Editor you can find the postprocess settings, which allow color-correction/manipulation, in the World Properties.
          It's done on a level-by-level basis?

Can you set it up so the entire game you're making in UDK is colour corrected?

Comment

No, you can't.

If you really want to avoid that 'look', you'll need to use assets which are not geared towards it, rather than the stock ones.

Comment

I see.

Comment

You really should be using your own assets anyway... for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                  You really should be using your own assets anyway... for the most part.
                  The question wasn't about using assets - it was about the brown appearance. We are assessing what engine to use, and that "Unreal brown look" was an issue.

Comment

On the other hand for a royalty of 25 freakin' percent, you'd think any developer would be justified to use as much available IP as possible from the UDK - not just the code IP but content IP as well. It's all included in the licence (except for skeletal meshes).

Comment

The question wasn't about using assets - it was about the brown appearance. We are assessing what engine to use, and that "Unreal brown look" was an issue.
                      [SCREENSHOT]http://www.trendyent.com/images/games/dungeon_defense/2/DD11.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Doesn't look over saturated brown to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                        [SCREENSHOT]http://www.trendyent.com/images/games/dungeon_defense/2/DD11.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Doesn't look over saturated brown to me.
                        Are you seriously implying that Unreal games don't have a reputation for looking brown?

Comment

I would say that

A realistic look for the world is kinda brown (dirty) and many games reflect that, it's not anything specific about the game engine, many games on other engines are the same way.

But for instance, the Mass Effect games which are on the UE are very colorful and are probably more blue than brown.

Comment

Originally posted by XFunc_CaRteR View Post
                            On the other hand for a royalty of 25 freakin' percent, you'd think any developer would be justified to use as much available IP as possible from the UDK - not just the code IP but content IP as well. It's all included in the licence (except for skeletal meshes).
                            I've seen you harp on this in more than one thread. Even if you were getting the full engine license, there is a significant chance that the terms of the contract would have them carrying some percentage of your revenue cut. The full engine license also does not come with any assets. If you're so worried about the money they're taking, then you really need to explore other options.

Realistically, you're talking about needing to sell several million dollars worth of your game before you would approach the costs of a retail license anyway. Even if you were approaching that, it would benefit your company greatly to negotiate the licensing terms as you approached that amount.

Now, as for the topic at hand. The "Unreal brown" look is both a side effect of the per-level post processing being used, as well as the assets being created for the levels. This is not inherently the fault of the engine, but rather, the art direction taken by the respective games. There is no reason that you would need to follow this, and honestly, it would be up to your artists and art director to come up with the color palette that would benefit your design the most, then go with that. If this is not a situation that you are currently in, then you need to start investing some time in figuring out that direction for yourself, and looking around for free/for-pay stock assets that you can import yourself.

Comment

take a look at the maps made in my signature. Is the 'brown effect' present? its all about art-direction and aesthetic choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X