Need UDK to mature to a Game Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I don't think you have to use UTGame, since in the ini's you can change alot of the stuff that points to that folder. But i'm not sure....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UDK is powerful and still in BETA. I'm making a game and so far, I haven't minded trawling through .ini files. But I still think it would be easier with some kind of Project Manager.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    While a project manager of some kind would be quite nice, the statement that UDK is not a mature game engine probably isn't quite what you meant. First UDK is an editing tool that is still in beta. UE3 is the game engine that is very very mature. Maybe it needs DX11 but thats just on my wish list (Epic ). Look up the list of games that have been made with UE3. It's quite a big list.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Compared to everything else that goes into making a game, editing a few ini files is nothing. You do realise people who make "real, professional" games with the Unreal Engine have to edit ini files too? And what matter is the prefix of a folder that users will never see?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Need UDK to mature to a Game Engine...

Need UDK to mature to a Game Engine...

I don't know how to say this, but I think current versions of UDK is more like a Mod Kit than a full fledged Game Engine. Because,

1. It has no Project Manager. We have to manually edit ini strings to get our things running. Which looks & feels more of a Mod Kit than a Professional Game Engine.

2. Why do we have a use UTGame Folder in our Games? If Epic is charging 25% for the released Games, it should make UDK to have more features of a Professional Game Engine than that of a Mod Kit for UT3.

etc etc..

There are a lot of features currently in UDK which dictates that we are using a Mod Kit. I & many of us here in the forums would like Epic to transform UDK into a more mature Game Engine in the coming days.

At least that's what i am looking forward to.
Working...
X