Need UDK to mature to a Game Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'm confused as to what people mean by "project manager".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Space9 View Post
    bad question..? I´m sorry, i´m not a coder, i was asking because i don´t know how to do it.... an awesome button will be all right, and it will be much better if publish the game on the fly... hhh... @__", btw, if i "unload" the ut3 package, and is still the linkgun there... well.. what can i think.. come on!, i´m going to unload you with a punch.. (this at least has the sense of UDK is more an editor kit than a game engine, but only this... i think...
    greetings.
    come again?

Seriously guys, if you need a tool to edit ini files, and a project manager... Your looking in the wrong place, you should go here

If you really find editing .ini files difficult... never become a game developer.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    bad question..? I´m sorry, i´m not a coder, i was asking because i don´t know how to do it.... an awesome button will be all right, and it will be much better if publish the game on the fly... hhh... @__", btw, if i "unload" the ut3 package, and is still the linkgun there... well.. what can i think.. come on!, i´m going to unload you with a punch.. (this at least has the sense of UDK is more an editor kit than a game engine, but only this... i think...
    greetings.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, looking at this discussion I really would like to have a Project Manager in UDK. Maybe Epic will add it Anyways, I agree with Denny that UDK is UE3 except for source access, even better than UE3 (Because its FREE).
    But, i think Presentation plays a large part in any game/project. So, i wouldn't mind having the ability to rename UTGame to <our custom name> & this Project manager utility can do this too. For example, when you make a new Project the Project manager automatically copies the necessary files & creates the custom folder needed to run your Project. Just my 2cents

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Space9 View Post
    Talking about the manager system, it would be great if we have the choice to enable or disable the linkgun weapon when we want to play a level...this is the only thing (at least to me) that is not necesary... only put the camera with collision, that is enough to explore the level... remember that not all games are fps... .. i think.. is an idea.. of course..
    >_>

You code your game so that it doesn't have the link gun.

Anyway, while we're at it, why not integrate "awesome button" into the editor? Magical red button that does everything for you, maps, materials, coding, and things like that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Talking about the manager system, it would be great if we have the choice to enable or disable the linkgun weapon when we want to play a level...this is the only thing (at least to me) that is not necesary... only put the camera with collision, that is enough to explore the level... remember that not all games are fps... .. i think.. is an idea.. of course..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    BECAUSE if it's integrated you don't need to push on the start button and it'll probably have a cool color scheme.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tell me, why would you need some tool integrated into UDK to edit .txt files, especially when you could just use notepad or some other text editor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gfx.addict View Post
    1. It has no Project Manager. We have to manually edit ini strings to get our things running. Which looks & feels more of a Mod Kit than a Professional Game Engine.
    That's how it works in commercial UE3 games too, unless you write your own system.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd love to get a project manager with UDK.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not that much of a hassle to edit the ini files, but it'd just be a lot easier to have it done automatically, plus easier for people new to the UDK to pick up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hmm.. i think UDK is most completed than other engines, really most completed since it has kismet, matinee (few engines has this), BPS Brushes, well, looks like more a game studio, and i´m pretty sure you don´t need even a 3d modeler... working very hard in BSP brushes of course you can model various class of things... not all of course,,..

I was thinking why UDK is in beta,, since it leads the game development client industry but i guess i got now, udk is a frontend of ue3.. maybe that is...

by the way, even if i found some crashes here or there in udk, i find the most complete engine and really really professional one... @gfx.addict you really MUST to take a look at this before comment .

regards

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just shows what kind of image people have about professional game development :P Editing a few inis and folders shouldn't be a show stopper for you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    25% and nothing up front, and editing a few .ini files and stuck with a folder name... or 30 grand up front, editing a lot of .ini's, and getting to name folders whatever I wish. What one do I want?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    gfx.addict >> This is how UE3 works, the only difference between UDK and UE3 is source code access. So what if you can't rename ONE folder? Does that make the engine worse? No, it only annoys the person developing the game. The majority of end users aren't even in the folder structure less understand what UTGame stands for.

Complaining about working with Ini files? What next, you're going to complain you actually have to type Unreal Script? Calling UDK a mod kit sounds like the word from an inexperienced developer who doesn't understand what's under the hood or how it works at all.
    Second on that. Can't be said any better. If you have worked with other engines you realise the majority of UDK in the first few moments of working with it.
    Details like the .ini editing or a project manager come second in the list and are not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    gfx.addict >> This is how UE3 works, the only difference between UDK and UE3 is source code access. So what if you can't rename ONE folder? Does that make the engine worse? No, it only annoys the person developing the game. The majority of end users aren't even in the folder structure less understand what UTGame stands for.

Complaining about working with Ini files? What next, you're going to complain you actually have to type Unreal Script? Calling UDK a mod kit sounds like the word from an inexperienced developer who doesn't understand what's under the hood or how it works at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X