Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
    I'd say it's a bit insulting to say that Epic don't have a professional development kit here.

However, these smaller details can be fixed up by us, the community. However, Epic may have to open up a few entry points for us to use. Unsure if and when that will happen however.
    For a 25% slice of whatever a developer's game makes, Epic - not the community - better be doing the work to improve their platform.

Also, not sure anyone was saying they don't have a good platform - they're just pointing out issues.

Finally, yes beta is beta. But beta only becomes a truly effective gold master by people giving tough feedback such as this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One thing you seem to miss: Beta Beta is Beta.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd say it's a bit insulting to say that Epic don't have a professional development kit here.

However, these smaller details can be fixed up by us, the community. However, Epic may have to open up a few entry points for us to use. Unsure if and when that will happen however.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ambershee View Post
    At the end of the day however, I'd personally like to see manpower being thrown at more important tasks. An application that can read in and modify those ini files could be written by any one of the people demanding it with very little difficulty.
    Attention to detail is the mark of the professional. If it's a small task, as you say, then there is even less excuse for it not being dealt with.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    At the end of the day however, I'd personally like to see manpower being thrown at more important tasks. An application that can read in and modify those ini files could be written by any one of the people demanding it with very little difficulty.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by XFunc_CaRteR View Post
    That's a dumb attitude toward product improvement.

Basically the original poster is saying why are you making us futz around with these stupid minor files instead of integrating them into a full app-like solution that handles this stuff in the background. We are here to design games, not mess around with configurations.
    Well, kind of. Except you are saying it much better and nicer than the original poster said it.

Maybe people should go check out Nemesis's project-starter applet thingee over in the Released things section.

Although having a full INI editor within the editor would be nice. As well as being able to compile while the editor is open.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^^ I'm with the above poster. It's one thing to get upset over newcomers asking for "magic buttons" that create game logic and what not, but this is a simple suggestion for improving the software/editor..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xendance View Post
    Tell me, why would you need some tool integrated into UDK to edit .txt files, especially when you could just use notepad or some other text editor.
    Why would you need the same for any application that does anything?

Answer: Because an application does that. That's what an application is: a UI that handles inputs and gives outputs using buttons and sliders and stuff so you don't have to mess around writing files in notepad.

Have you ever noticed that when you use Photoshop you don't have to go into some obscure folder somewhere and change a config file using Notepad if you want to save your picture as a gif or a png or a jpeg? Why is that? Because the app developers have done their job. They made an application.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by immortius View Post
    Compared to everything else that goes into making a game, editing a few ini files is nothing. You do realise people who make "real, professional" games with the Unreal Engine have to edit ini files too? And what matter is the prefix of a folder that users will never see?
    That's a dumb attitude toward product improvement.

Basically the original poster is saying why are you making us futz around with these stupid minor files instead of integrating them into a full app-like solution that handles this stuff in the background. We are here to design games, not mess around with configurations.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    If your main concern is about a folder that most end users won't ever see, then maybe you should rethink your development strategy. Buy a real license and get the source code if you're so concerned to change the name.
    If

.................................................. ............

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BigDaz View Post
    What nonsense. If it's annoying developers, it's just common sense to change it. Not leave it as it is and say "well this is how it is and if you want things to be improved then you're an ignorant newbie."
    Maybe not the way YOU would do it, but obviously the way Epic does, although they don't insult you about it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BigDaz View Post
    What nonsense. If it's annoying developers, it's just common sense to change it. Not leave it as it is and say "well this is how it is and if you want things to be improved then you're an ignorant newbie."
    If your main concern is about a folder that most end users won't ever see, then maybe you should rethink your development strategy. Buy a real license and get the source code if you're so concerned to change the name.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    no, it can do everything the actual UE3 can do, because it is the actual UE3. No, you can't modify it's source to add additional things that can't be done in unrealscript, but they did add DLLBind to mitigate that to some degree.

I'd say that's not really annoying everyone who's developing, just a handful of people.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    gfx.addict >> This is how UE3 works, the only difference between UDK and UE3 is source code access. So what if you can't rename ONE folder? Does that make the engine worse? No, it only annoys the person developing the game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm a VERY new game creator but I can say that UDK is more than just a simple MOD kit. It's also one of the best engines out I think.... Yeah I know the CryEngine can do this and that... but get your liscence for and you can tell me how it works.... right.

Maybe it can't do EVERYTHING the actual UE3 can do YET, but it CAN do an awful lot for a totally 100 percent free tool. (well the 25 percent thing) but still. Other engines that aren't this simple to use cost a LOT more. So editing a few ini files and having a certain folder isn't too large of a deal.

Oh and I understand what you mean about people taking your assets. I don't mind telling people I used the UDK to make it. But if I make assets myself (like from scratch) I don't know if I'd want just everyone using all of them all the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X