Plug and Play Flying Elephant Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    thanks tegleg ! WOOT - I replaced the elephant mesh with a ship I have been working on and it fly's great. (using September 2010 Build).

I did have to run a full recompile and remove the hoverboard lines in the uc files.

Quick question....I cant seem to find a tutorial on how to adjust the socket locations in the skeletal mesh window..do I need to modify the script file(s) to change the socket positions?

[EDIT] - I found the UDN tutorial that explained the socket manager. Thanks again for the files.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it just needed resaving so that the udk properly compiles it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Somehow, after just copying and changing the Cicada script like you did, it compiled and works perfectly in UDK (Sept). Can't explain why, my copy seems identical to your script, but anyway, it works... breakthrough!

It's a terrifically useful package. Thank you Tegleg!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i get the same problem with not being in the vehicle factory, first error is that the superclass of content is not found. ill try fix it myself tho and post up any results youve done lots already

edit:

well that was easier than i thought. open up the 3 scripts, change them (eg delete a then put back the colon) and save for each of the 3 files, they just werent being noticed as new scripts by just copy pasting into the folder.

after this it still works perfectly up to the july version (one i use atm) but ill test it with a new version soon after its downloaded.

this is a cool vehicle ill have fun tweaking this. thx

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Tegleg - Again, thank U! As you suggest, I'll give it a shot with the Cicada script before asking U to invest more time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just checked it, and it seems to work for me.
    Here's the link he posted again for convenience:
    http://udkc.info/index.php?title=UDKC:Collections

It's the flying elephant download.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    where to download please

your homepage seems offline ...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hello whitenorthstar
    this vehicle was made for march udk, i dont know if it will still work, probably not.
    if it didnt recompile, this is why its not in the actor browser.
    do a full recompile from the frontend, if its full of errors you cant fix ill make an updated one if you really really want it.

i encourage you to try and fix it yourself, or make a new script.
    the code is a copy of the cicada script with the skeletalmesh and stuff changed to the elephant.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Tegleg... this is incredibly useful, thank you very much. I hope some day to have the skills to help out the way you (and some others, like Geodav) do around these forums.

Ummm, it's really embarrassing to ask U this because it makes me feel like a total newb, but I've followed Ur instructions and double-checked.

For some reason, I can't find the new elephant's Vehicle Factory in the Actor Classes window. I'm using the latest UDK (Sept 2010). By the way, after adding Ur new scripts, UDK doesn't compile, just launches perfectly as usual. However, after launch, the elephant and materials are visible in the Content Browser.

Perhaps, due to my inexperience, I'm missing something obvious?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks so much. As I move forward I will post my progress if that's okay...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by GameHatcher View Post
    Also when I am switching out the elephant with my ship and getting ready to import into the UDK...when will I import via your directions
    how will I change the elephant that is also included in the upk and uc files...or will this all be changed automatically when I change the elephant to my ship in Maya/Max? I guess what I am really asking is should I leave the file that I update in Maya named Elephant for the naming convention sake?
    you can just replace the mesh and leave all the names the same
    if you name your new mesh the same as the elephant and import it into the elephant package it will just overwrite the old one, this way will also leave the sockets, so all you have to do is move them to the right places to make your mesh look/work right

another way would be to copy all the elephant files and rename them
    you also have to rename the class to the same as the file name
    then replace the bit where is references the elephant mesh and stuff with yours

you can also create the bones yourself in maya, just skin the main bone to your mesh

i cant upload fbx atm, and i dont know if the bones would still be there anyway, let me know if you need it and ill up it later

EDIT: just tried exporting as fbx:
    The plug-in does not support the following objects'(bones) geometry type and will convert them to an editable mesh. Morph and skin deformations may be lost.
    it converts the bones to editable mesh

so here are the bone names i used so you can make your own
    Main
    Rt_Canard
    Lt_Canard
    Lt_Rotor
    Rt_Rotor

link all bones to 'Main' bone and skin your mesh to just the 'main'

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Rofl. I love how the exhaust comes out his butt.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also when I am switching out the elephant with my ship and getting ready to import into the UDK...when will I import via your directions: Copy the files into your UDK directory:

UDK-2010-03/Development/Src/UTGame/Classes
    UTVehicle_Elephant.uc

UDK-2010-03/Development/Src/UTGameContent/Classes
    UTVehicleFactory_Elephant.uc
    UTVehicle_Elephant_Content.uc

UDK-2010-03/UTGame/Content/Vehicles
    VH_Elephant.upk

how will I change the elephant that is also included in the upk and uc files...or will this all be changed automatically when I change the elephant to my ship in Maya/Max? I guess what I am really asking is should I leave the file that I update in Maya named Elephant for the naming convention sake?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    fbx would be great! Thanks alot!! I tired the obj and you're right it didn't have any bones in it. Do you think I could use Maya bones and then skin it and pick up the rest of the directions from there? Or can you send the fbx where the bones will transfer....it can be done...I used to use max a long time ago and I did it to move some of my character assets over from max to maya.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by GameHatcher View Post
    Can I import the max file into Maya as an obj and still be able to follow your instructions?
    sorry i dont know, never used maya
    i think it gets rid of all the bones converting to an obj, not sure
    i can upload a different format if you want
    any of these any good?
    fbx
    3ds
    dwf
    dwg
    dxf
    igs
    m3g
    stl