Sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds

I use distance crossfade for my sounds, so they fade into other sounds when you get a distance away from them, and I was just wondering.. Is it normal for you to not be able to hear your weapon fire on a large map when using distance crossfaders? If not, why would it be doing that?

Thanks!

Formerly, the distance crossfade node was used to apply a low pass filter for sounds at distance (the dry sound was mixed with a low pass filtered version of the same sound). However, all platforms now support attenuation with a low pass filter meaning the filtered version of the sound is no longer required. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AudioSystem.html
    try using an AmbientSound

i also have problems with sound, there doesnt appear to be much info about it
    i have a large outdoor map
    im trying to play a music track but it cuts out random footstep and gun sounds and randomly restarts and stops the music
    it doesnt matter if i use an AmbientSound in the level(togglable or not), Play Sound or a Music Track in Kismet
    Play Sound Node and Set Sound Mode doesnt do anything
    im also using silent movie textures and wondering if these take a sound channel for each object that uses it?
    but it appears nobody knows anything about sound in udk
    oh if only vst was supported
    its supposed to be 32 channel but i cant get more than 3 or 4 sounds to play at once

Comment

What do you mean by AmbientSound? Do you mean I should placeone in my map?

If so, I would do that, but I use them for the weapons, and the sounds are called through script, so I don't think I can. However, if anyone knows of a way to do that, then I'm all ears! (Or eyes.. Can't hear people type..)

Comment

oh i didnt realise you are talking about weapon sounds
        it seems to me that the udk sound system is all messed up and doesnt work properly
        if anyone knows any better you are very welcome to join in

Comment

I'm gonna try converting allof the sounds to mono. Because I had a sound for a minigun, and a sound for bullet whip that were mono, that I am always able to hear for some odd reason, so.. Guess I'll try that

Comment

I can also for some reason here all the distant sounds, especially on the desert eagle.. But never the main sounds.. The distant sounds were all mono as well.

Comment

Okay, that didn't work either..

Comment

i have been looking for a way to give certain sounds priority over the others
                but it seems you cant do this
                its broken if you ask me

Comment

Are you guys using kismet to trigger your sounds when you fire a weapon? :0

Comment

no im just using the standard udk weapons and weapon sounds
                    all i want to do is play some music without it getting interupted

Comment

How are you adding the music to your level? Is it a constant background tune or an event track which is triggered to play?

Comment

i am using a trigger that brings up a UI and plays the music
                        ive tried everything on kismet
                        perhaps i can do it with matine?

xXSLAD3Xx
                        i found this in soundclass.uc
                        /** Whether to artificially prioritise the component to play */
                        var() bool bAlwaysPlay;
                        must be of some use but i dont know what or how

Comment

hm.. I'll have to look into that, thanks!

Comment

i might have solved it, works for me it the moment (fingers crossed)
                            in the Content Browser
                            right click on the Sound Cue
                            Sound Classes: Master > SFX > Cinematic

maybe you could try Weapon > WeaponBulletEffects

Comment

I'll try it!

Comment

Working...
                              X