Package Game w/Custom Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Game w/Custom Installer

Anyone know of a way to package a game, so it can be distributed without the UnrealFrontend generated installer?

I have confirmed with Epic that we are allowed to use a custom installer.
    > is there a way to distribute without the generated installer file from UnrealFrontend?

That's a tech question. From a licensing/legal POV we don't really dictate what installer you use.

Once you cook everything, you only need to distribute the binaries folder and the cooked assets (I believe). One way of distributing would just be to zip them up and send the .zip. Boom, distribution. The installer Epic provides however installs a bunch of prerequisites that the end user might not have; but at the same time they have a .exe in the Binaries folder just for those pre-reqs. You can write your own installer to decompress your .zip and then run the redistributable installer to ensure proper distribution.

...in theory.

Comment

Through testing, I've found that installing through the UF installer does add a few registry entries (nothing that looks /overly/ important except the EULAAccepted tag), but it doesn't appear to require them at all.

Comment

Working...
      X