Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commercial Licensing Terms Update - Use UDK assets!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Commercial Licensing Terms Update - Use UDK assets!

    We've updated the terms of the UDK commercial license to give developers the ability to use most assets included with the UDK. From the Licensing FAQ http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitFAQ.html :

    Q: Can I release a commercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?

    A: Yes, with one exception. You may not release anything marked as a SkeletalMesh in the Content Browser in a commercial UDK application.

    #2
    thankee zur *touches forelock*

    Comment


      #3
      Absolutely fantastic news. Where do the actual skeletons stand on this (given that they are themselves, not 'marked as a SkeletalMesh in the Content Browser')?

      Comment


        #4
        the faq, as mentioned in this thread, needs a serious update (complete), because it's conflicting with other threads by epic, and information in udn and the likes (license page etc)

        e.g. the splash screen change allowance to name one.

        Comment


          #5
          This sounds great, I love the idea of using the sound effects in the UDK

          Comment


            #6
            Actual skeletons and animations may be used, just not the SkeletalMeshes.

            Comment


              #7
              The Licensing FAQ is correct about the splash screen change:

              Q: Can we change the static UDK splash screen in our UDK apps?

              A: Yes, you may alter the static splash screen as you see fit. The UDK movie, on the other hand, must not be changed.


              Where are you seeing information that is in conflict with this?

              Comment


                #8
                This is fantastic news Steve! Thank you!

                One question though, what about maps? if skeletal meshes are removed from them, what would this maps be considered?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Steve Polge View Post
                  The Licensing FAQ is correct about the splash screen change:

                  Q: Can we change the static UDK splash screen in our UDK apps?

                  A: Yes, you may alter the static splash screen as you see fit. The UDK movie, on the other hand, must not be changed.


                  Where are you seeing information that is in conflict with this?
                  hmm, seems UDN doesn't instantly updates data. After your initial post (this thread), i've looked up the UDN page (like 5 minutes before my post here), and there it said it wasn't allowed, but that epic was busy making a license change to allow it. (the old answer)

                  but now, (1 min. ago checked) it's changed.

                  Oh well, seems allright then. (for as far as i've looked at the (now) updated version of the faq)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Maps, technically are allowed by these terms. However, I *strongly* encourage you to heavily modify or create your own maps. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to create your own games, but it's in your best interest to make your content look as unique as possible and not recycled.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      \_0_/
                      -
                      -
                      / \

                      Thanks a Million, Hail Epic!!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Steve Polge View Post
                        Maps, technically are allowed by these terms. However, I *strongly* encourage you to heavily modify or create your own maps. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to create your own games, but it's in your best interest to make your content look as unique as possible and not recycled.
                        Thank you for clearing that up . Its handy to have example content without commercial restrictions.

                        BTW The links to the Mastering Unreal technology books are misformatted(the links are not getting phrased).

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Shelke View Post
                          BTW The links to the Mastering Unreal technology books are misformatted(the links are not getting phrased).
                          On what page?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            This is really awesome. There are so many things in the UDK content set that while trivial individually add up to 100s if not 1000s of man hours of work. Not having to make a barrel or walkway railing doesn't seem like much but over the life of a project having access to this library of textures, sounds, and models is a massive time saver even if you only use a fraction of it.

                            Thank You.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by saymoo View Post
                              hmm, seems UDN doesn't instantly updates data.
                              The UDN is a wiki. It changes when someone physically updates it, just like Wikipedia.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X