End user licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End user licensing

If I am creating a commercial UDK game, what sort of options do I have in terms of licenses for the end users. I am talking about license keys that will come with purchased copies of the game. Do I need to write a wrapper for the installer that checks the key against our database, which will work for the initial installation, but after that how might I manage the keys. Does the UDK limit the possibility of license keys because we cannot access the source C++, or is there anything built into the engine that could allow me to do this sort of checking?

I only ask because UDK packages your game into a .exe that doesn't do any sort of license checking. So this would allow one person to purchase the game, and simply host the installer or pass it along to friends, giving them a free copy of the game. Yes, I am aware that games can be cracked, and no doubt if its popular it might be hosted on torrent sites etc.

Cheers,
    Tristan.

You could implement your own serial key system using the DLLBind functionality. It's not as effective as keeping it in binary, but then it's only as solid as it needs to be to prevent simple copying. You could implement an online check, but a CD key will probably do fine (online checks just alienate your userbase, especially as an indie - unless we're talking about multiplayer of course, then it's easy).

Comment

Yea, I'll look into DLLBind, even if I can get something simple to work, it will at least deter/stop the basic user from passing it around, but if someone's desperate enough to crack it, well, I guess they will anyway. Otherwise, do you know of any 3rd party programs that deal with DRM and such, that you could bundle with an installation? I know steamworks provides this feature, but that won't really help seeing as we don't have access to the source..

Comment

Honestly DRM should be dead last on your list of concerns. Without a marketing budget orders of magnitude larger than your development budget then getting your game pirated is more than likely the best advertising you will ever get. Sure 500,000 people may steal it, but that's completely irrelevant if it gets you 20,000 more sales.

Comment

Originally posted by eXsolved View Post
          Yea, I'll look into DLLBind, even if I can get something simple to work, it will at least deter/stop the basic user from passing it around, but if someone's desperate enough to crack it, well, I guess they will anyway. Otherwise, do you know of any 3rd party programs that deal with DRM and such, that you could bundle with an installation? I know steamworks provides this feature, but that won't really help seeing as we don't have access to the source..
          You can integrate Steamworks using DLLBind; other projects have purportedly already done this (although they are not released)

Comment

Sure 500,000 people may steal it, but that's completely irrelevant if it gets you 20,000 more sales.
            Your definitely right about that, maybe I'm worrying about something that needs no worrying about

You can integrate Steamworks using DLLBind; other projects have purportedly already done this (although they are not released)
            Yea, I may take a look into this, but if not I'll just stick to the custom installer.

Thanks for your help/advice guys!

Comment

Working...
            X