Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leagal question?

Hi!
    I have an idea for a new project in UDK, but I have a question before I start.

Is it allowed to have the standard concept of weapons from UT3 (enforcer, bio-rifle, shock rifle, etc) but with my own models, anims?

Probobly, more questions will appear...

I think you can use everything that comes with the UDK, but you can't use other UT3 weapons that you imported.

Comment

Well, that made me sad...
      =´C

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoMatte View Post
        I think you can use everything that comes with the UDK, but you can't use other UT3 weapons that you imported.
        You can definitely not use everything that comes with UDK. You can't use any levels or assets: models, textures, animations, skeletons, etc.

Here's what you can do:

If I port my UT3 total conversion mod into UDK successfully, but my custom weapon's code is largely identical to that of the Translocator from UT3, is it still legal for me to release my UDK game as a free non-commercial download or does that still violate the EULA?

UTGame script code is not consider part of the restricted asset set. You may freely use it in your UDK application as you see fit.

Comment

But if I not copy the weapons. How about if I just have a follow the concept with a slime-weapon named Slime-something, a laser gun named Laser Rifle and so on..?

Comment

Originally posted by MadV View Post
            You can definitely not use everything that comes with UDK. You can't use any levels or assets: models, textures, animations, skeletons, etc.
            You can use everything that comes with UDK for non-commercial projects.

Comment

in short you need to create your own assets, and name them as you like. However, they must be unique or common (e.g. M16, BAR, thompson) weapons. no copies/cloned/look alikes from non real existent (aka fantasy) models "copied/borrowed" from other games (visually similar so to speak, your models should be distinct).

e.g. the link gun has a distinct visual design, but is a fantasy weapon, cloning it's appearance is not allowed (copyright), but an building an appearance which does not look close to the original foundation, is allowed.
              (complete distinction between the two. aka, barely no similarities)

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
                You can use everything that comes with UDK for non-commercial projects.
                Ah, yeah. I was thinking of commercial projects.

Himaren: If you're not doing a commercial project I don't think you'd need to be too worried about these things.

Q: Can I release a noncommercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?

A: Yes. You can use UT3 assets included with UDK for a noncommercial game, but not UT3 assets not included with UDK. If you wish to sell your game, all assets must be owned by you.

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

i can use all the code what come with the UDK for my comercial game ?

Comment

yes, you may use all the UC files, provided in the development/src folder structure.

Comment

Originally posted by alvarofer0020 View Post
                        Yes.

Can we create a game extending from UTGAME code and sell it for commercial purposes or is this considered part of the "assets" of the UDK that they do not want us to use?

* UTGame script code is not consider part of the restricted asset set. You may freely use it in your UDK application as you see fit.
                        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=707700

[EDIT] oops, sorry, didn't see the second page.

Comment

Originally posted by alvarofer0020 View Post
                          yes. all script is fine, but the art is not.

Comment

Working...
                          X