Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open World Survival Game?

Hey everyone.

I'm new to UDK, and I was wondering if it would be a realistic goal to try to create an open world survival game? Nothing too complex, I've just always had this dream about creating an open world game where you start off deep inside of the forest, and you have to scavenge for food, setup shelter, and just try to survive. Something similar to Wurm Online, Stranded 2, or aspects of Dwarf Fortress, but maybe not as complex as that last one.

I know this would probably be a pretty intense first project, so I imagined I would create several smaller mods/games before that, and gradually move into more complex projects. I've picked up Ivor Horton's Beginning C++ book (would this be the best option? I've heard some people say that I should start on Java, rather than C++), and then I'll try to learn about UnrealScript after that. I'm a bit familiar with Maya/3Ds Max, but I still have a lot to learn there. I'd imagine I would be working alone on most of this, but I do have about 10+ hours of spare time most days of the week that I could devote to learning as much as I can.

Anyway, would this be a realistic goal after I become better acquainted with UDK, or is it just an unrealistic pipe-dream?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't see why not, I'm not sure how big levels you can have, but you can always split them up into smaller ones.

There is however this: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelStreamingHowTo.html

Comment

Yeah, start small and work up from there. Open worlds have limits such as maximal level size and memory overhead and general perfomance on old-ish hardware (these can be fixed with some tricks and general simplification of the game). Otherwise a project like this seems like a good one.

Comment

I was planning something similar...ish. An open world zombie apocalypse survival. So you had to set up a barricade, and roam around to find survivors, food, and weapons...

Kinda like Dead Rising, but on a citywide scale, and more geared towards careful planning around zombie hordes, rather than skateboarding through them...

Comment

My gf has wanted me to build a "Survivorman" game for a long time. I keep telling her to design it.

Comment

Working...
          X