Is Autodesk HumanIK in UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Autodesk HumanIK in UDK?

HumanIK is now integrated in Unreal Engine 3.

But is it in the current UDK? Will it be coming to UDK?

Originally posted by rygoody View Post
    HumanIK is now integrated in Unreal Engine 3.

But is it in the current UDK? Will it be coming to UDK?
    UDK is pretty much just bare-bones Unreal Engine 3, I believe you'll have to get a licensed version to integrate any of the 3rd party partner tools (such as Enlighten, Beast, HumanIK, etc).

Comment

but humanik still might come...

Like the UDK has speedtree for example

Comment

I don't believe it will come at all.

Comment

since the partnership between autodesk and epic games has tightend more, (FBX import is a direct proof of this) it might be a future feature (as in slimmed down version of HumanIK)
          future will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
            since the partnership between autodesk and epic games has tightend more, (FBX import is a direct proof of this) it might be a future feature (as in slimmed down version of HumanIK)
            future will tell.
            funny. you really don't know autodesk politics. I don't even see why they would do such a thing.

Comment

you do, i doubt it. time changes, market changes, so does company politics, as proven many times. It would be a great marketshare impulse for that product, since commercial titles most likely will eventually buy the full product, instead of a basic/slimmed down version (less feature rich). Also because people used it, chances are people remember it, and thus in future terms are remembering it, when in a "what license shall we buy for this project?" and also eliminates switching to alternative products. Another point is, if they don't follow the new market changes, the competitors take their place because they DO follow it. (gaining more attention and popularity)
              E.g. if Havok would put such a product (e.g. havok animation or a bundled suite) for free (noncommercial) and cheap (for commercial indie) or just like IDV (Speedtree) and OC3 (faceFX) did, just incorporate it as a wholesale product with a partnered company (epic games), in this case that product is UDK, they would blow away HumanIK as product, since most companies/individuals would use Havok instead. (cost/popularity is the driving factor in most cases)

Comment

Is there a real hard demand for it?

If a very great amount of games being developed in the UDK are also licencing HumanIK, then it might make more sense to permanently integrate it into the engine.

Who knows, only time will will tell...

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
                  you do, i doubt it. time changes, market changes, so does company politics, as proven many times. It would be a great marketshare impulse for that product, since commercial titles most likely will eventually buy the full product, instead of a basic/slimmed down version (less feature rich). Also because people used it, chances are people remember it, and thus in future terms are remembering it, when in a "what license shall we buy for this project?" and also eliminates switching to alternative products. Another point is, if they don't follow the new market changes, the competitors take their place because they DO follow it. (gaining more attention and popularity)
                  E.g. if Havok would put such a product (e.g. havok animation or a bundled suite) for free (noncommercial) and cheap (for commercial indie) or just like IDV (Speedtree) and OC3 (faceFX) did, just incorporate it as a wholesale product with a partnered company (epic games), in this case that product is UDK, they would blow away HumanIK as product, since most companies/individuals would use Havok instead. (cost/popularity is the driving factor in most cases)
                  I won't start arguing with you and start guessing like a precog what's going to happens. The indy don't generate enough money to make things move at least now. So yeah what you say is understandable but I still don't think autodesk is threaten need to follow any market. humanIk is a new product why would they give it away. Integreate to max or maya make more sense. Like I said before you should really look at what autodesk did the last year or even the maya and max update for 2011. They're not taking any risk they do profit and just live by their popularity and the huge support they have from the professional.

So I hope you are right because it would be a good think but everything cannot be just free.

Comment

if autodesk implemented humanik into udk that means that everyone would end up using Maya or motiobuilder for UDK, because those are the only two that can make humanik rigs

thats one benefit on autodesks side

Comment

Originally posted by rygoody View Post
                      if autodesk implemented humanik into udk that means that everyone would end up using Maya or motiobuilder for UDK, because those are the only two that can make humanik rigs

thats one benefit on autodesks side
                      still wishfull thinking. I mean you ask for humanIk but you already have you own idea on the thing. But why Enlighten isn't integrated to UDK ? anyway I won't speak for autodesk or epic you should send them an email, maybe you get a clear answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X