Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steamworks integration with UE3

http://epicgames.com/press_releases/steamworks.html

Pretty exciting, does anybody have an idea when this will be available?

I don't think this includes UDK users. UE3 license is not the same as UDK license as it's a different trademark no? Can anyone from Epic clarify how it is for UDK users?

Comment

The addition will also continue to distinguish UE3 from its free alternative, Unreal Development Kit, which will not be featuring the Steamworks integration.
      http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...mworksUE3-deal

Comment

even though it isn't going to be available for the UDK I'm still excited about the posibilities. Valve and Epic are probably my 2 favorite companies, primarily because of their technology.

Comment

Wouldn't be so sure. The gamespy online subsystem has been replaced in the newest release of UDK with a reference to OnlineSubsystemSteamworks. It could easily be available to licensed developers in the future.

Comment

I believe you could manually integrate parts of, if not all of Steamworks functionality through custom DLL binds anyway.

Comment

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing originally. Though if this is a significant enough feature that Epic would like to keep it isolated to licensed users, it may turn out to be a little complex.

Comment

Well, steamworks access is free anyways. Just send an email to Valve and they will set you up rather quickly. I currently have access to Steamworks.

Comment

My question is what capabilities will this add to the base OnlineSub ?

Comment

Valve wants you to use Steamworks, it means you're selling on Steam and that's money in their pocket. Epic wants you to use Steamworks, it means your royalty producing game is on the biggest digital distribution platform out there.

But Steamworks integrates with the C++ code and so it's kind of hard to simply write it into the UDK. Especially in a generic enough manner so for now their integration is UE3 only. But since the UDK is based off of the current UE3 builds then I suspect we'll be seeing parts of that integration effort filter down even if it's never a fully fledged feature of the UDK.

Comment

It would be very easy for Epic to #ifdef out the steamworks integration in the UDK executable so I#m not holding my breath just yet. However if Steamworks is indeed free and generally just depends on a distribution deal with Steam then I would hope Epic would be generous enough to provide those UDK users who are able to secure such a deal with a compatible set of binaries.

Comment

Just integrate through DLLBind. I haven't tried it (also got Steamworks access and worked with it extensively for a stats system) so you might get some weird crashes but it might work.

Comment

Epic does not have a policy of keeping Steam out of UDK to differentiate from the full Unreal Engine. We recognize how useful this feature would be for UDK developers.

Stay tuned.

Comment

* worships Steve and all the other Epic employees *

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                              * worships Steve and all the other Epic employees *
                              *Joins in the chant*

Comment

Working...
                              X