Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can I create same spore planet terrian ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can I create same spore planet terrian ???

the spore planet terrian is sphere , no plane , so I want to create sphere terrian , not only plane ... how can I do this ? I want to create planet , same spore planet , but mesh static no any terrian tools to edit , so I have some suggest , I hope EPIC update UDK 2010-03 , the new terrian tools can be choose shape , same the CSG shape , ball / cone / shaircase / cylinder / sheet / sphere( this is planet shape ^_^)

maybe the terrian tools quote the CSG shape to create terrian , not only plane terrian .

Attached Files

Hard to implement I presume, and would need a bit of digging, tricking and sweating to get it into the current terrain system which is dependant on heightmaps. I'd suggest trying to sculpt the planet style terrain in a 3D sculpting application and import in optimized parts to the engine, then use the mesh vertex coloring system to add materials to it.

Are you trying to make playable areas with this method or visual decorations? Getting gameplay/movement/physics to work properly in the planet environment (no constant z-axis gravity as it is by default) might prove difficult.

For decorations such as planets seen in the sky (which can't be reached without level transitions or similar) during gameplay I kindly suggest the 3D sculpting method or even just placing a plane with a high resolution planet material applied to it.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking... if you want a static mesh, just make it in a modelling program. As for terrain, I don't know if you can in UDK without the source because it's designed for using heightmaps, it doesn't use voxels which might make it possible, whereas the Spore engine was designed specifically for that, not general development.

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski View Post
        Hard to implement I presume, and would need a bit of digging, tricking and sweating to get it into the current terrain system which is dependant on heightmaps. I'd suggest trying to sculpt the planet style terrain in a 3D sculpting application and import in optimized parts to the engine, then use the mesh vertex coloring system to add materials to it.

Are you trying to make playable areas with this method or visual decorations? Getting gameplay/movement/physics to work properly in the planet environment (no constant z-axis gravity as it is by default) might prove difficult.

For decorations such as planets seen in the sky (which can't be reached without level transitions or similar) during gameplay I kindly suggest the 3D sculpting method or even just placing a plane with a high resolution planet material applied to it.

oh , thank very much ^_^
        this sphere terrian tool is impossible .

Comment

From my experience with Unreal, to get the gravity to work the way you would expect (the center of the sphere pulls everything towards it), would be difficult with unreal if you arent a lisencee and probably inefficient compared to a different base system, though Im no expert on unreal. If you are sure you want to do it with unreal, and you arent a lisencee,

Solutions that come to mind:
          set up a bunch of gravity volumes changing based on the normal of teh sphere. (royal pain)

You may be able to model a sphere in 3ds max, put some sort of object in the middle, calculate the line between objects and that line and rotate so that the "feet" are always pointed towards that object(feet and head is a straight line through that), and also have gravity pull along that vector. Im not sure about the complexities of doing that off hand with unreal, Im a bit of a beginner aswell.

Hope that helps, If you are a lisencee, I would start digging around in any code relating to physics or how gravity is dealt with.

~David

Comment

Originally posted by DrCrook View Post
            From my experience with Unreal, to get the gravity to work the way you would expect (the center of the sphere pulls everything towards it), would be difficult with unreal if you arent a lisencee and probably inefficient compared to a different base system, though Im no expert on unreal. If you are sure you want to do it with unreal, and you arent a lisencee,

Solutions that come to mind:
            set up a bunch of gravity volumes changing based on the normal of teh sphere. (royal pain)

You may be able to model a sphere in 3ds max, put some sort of object in the middle, calculate the line between objects and that line and rotate so that the "feet" are always pointed towards that object(feet and head is a straight line through that), and also have gravity pull along that vector. Im not sure about the complexities of doing that off hand with unreal, Im a bit of a beginner aswell.

Hope that helps, If you are a lisencee, I would start digging around in any code relating to physics or how gravity is dealt with.

~David

I very very grateful your ans ! I would listen your suggest to do , thank again !! ^_^
            may I use SPHERE BSP to do this .

Comment

oh , Will Wright is a great designer , the simcity4 is game design legend . ths spore gravity planet system is the first gravity engine.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenchau View Post
                oh , Will Wright is a great designer , the simcity4 is game design legend . ths spore gravity planet system is the first gravity engine.
                What?

Originally posted by DrCrook View Post
                ...Solutions that come to mind:...
                Whilst you probably think these will work in theory, I can tell you that they are far and out only the tiniest tip of the iceberg. The entire game physics are abstracted away from you and you can only ever access gravity as a scalar value - up, down or none at all.

If you want to change the way it works, you have to re-write absolutely everything from the ground up. Gravity volumes can't do what you want, and simply 'pulling objects' towards points isn't enough - you've got to deal with orientation, collision and navigating ever changing surfaces, and all sorts of other such nasties.

Comment

stevenchau wants every piece of gaming technology ever developed all under one roof for some kind of super spectacular gravitational hypher physics game.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                    What?
                    totally :P

Comment

Yeah, it sounds overly extravagent, I would attempt that one from scratch and not existing code.

Spore is a phenominal system, even the seemless level transition is incredible.

Though your rotation isnt too complicated if you start from scratch, just multiply the identity matrix by the correct rotation matrix, which you should be able to find by calculating your current rotation offset to the planet and your desired one. and multiply the matrix of your vertices by that rotation matrix (look up on wikepedia how to do this if you arent sure).

I would define each object with 4 points to simplify these calculations (front, bottom, top, back) and running lines through those and comparing to lines in the planet should get you something relatively desireable.

The system is a huge undertaking. I would sit around for a few days and just start drawing UML Diagrams of all the abstractions, ie:

GravityPhysicsEngine.cpp
                      Actor.cpp (things with negligible gravitational effect on other objects around them)
                      GravityObject.cpp(a planet, a black hole, etc)

and any abstract subclasses that go with it, along with basis functionality of each. Unreal provides a wonderful abstract model of how to try and break up a system like this, which would make it a decent starting point if you are a lisencee, because then you can make use of all that wonderful technology and spend your time trying to just rework the physics and gravity type systems, collision should already be there and be solid.

Anyways, I feel like its possible with unreal if you have the lisence and the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                        stevenchau wants every piece of gaming technology ever developed all under one roof for some kind of super spectacular gravitational hypher physics game.
                        I have noticed xD

Comment

Working...
                        X