Using music from people like Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using music from people like Beethoven

Is it legal to use music from composers like Beethoven in a game? Like if I played it myself. I can play the piano, and that's really the only instrument I want, but is that legal to do?

http://k.lenz.name/LB/archives/000712.html

According to that page, nobody owns it anymore, and by that, yes, it should be legal to use it

Comment

Cool! Thanks man.

Comment

Uhm...

Are you talking about using his notes?

Or are you talking about taking a piece of musical recording?

Becaues you're not going to find any musical recording of Beethoven playing the piano.

Any musical recording you find, someone will hold the copyright too.

Comment

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
          Is it legal to use music from composers like Beethoven in a game? Like if I played it myself. I can play the piano, and that's really the only instrument I want, but is that legal to do?
          Is it already dead?

->NO:
          Ask for permission, it will be denied.
          ->Yes:
          Does it have descendants?
          Yes:
          Ask for permission, it will be denied.
          No:
          Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by eosteric View Post
            Uhm...

Are you talking about using his notes?

Or are you talking about taking a piece of musical recording?

Becaues you're not going to find any musical recording of Beethoven playing the piano.

Any musical recording you find, someone will hold the copyright too.
            No I'll be taking the notes and playing a cover version on the piano.

Comment

Aha... Yeah, use all the notes you want.

Comment

And not to make you ultraparanoid, but if you know how to write sheet music, write it out. Someone could potentially claim copyright on their arrangement of the music, if they wanted to be a real jerkwad.

Comment

Well I'm going to probably write it out for the piano so I can play it since my memory isn't that good, I just suck at composing. And there's a lot of old symphonies like that which would be good for what we're working on. It's not like I'll be just ripping it off a disk or something, it'll all be transposed for the piano from the original notes. I'll probably write out two or three pieces and combine them so that it's more flexible, since there's like a hundred instruments meant to be playing those.

Comment

your arrangement of a public domain piece = yours, have fun

Comment

Mmkay thanks guys.

Comment

Basically when it comes to musical copyright anything where the composer died over 100 years ago you are good to go. Music copyright is a jungle when you get to the 20th century.

Comment

Yeah, not really using anything new since it doesn't sound very good on the piano. Well, some things do, but it gets weird because so many songs use really similar backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by mixedmeters View Post
                            Basically when it comes to musical copyright anything where the composer died over 100 years ago you are good to go. Music copyright is a jungle when you get to the 20th century.
                            Except when the actual arrangement of the piece is copyrighted. ASCAP and it's people don't have much love for that. But they spend most of their time going after bars without ASCAP licenses for karaoke and jukebox violations.

Comment

Working...
                            X