Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polygon Counts [Debate]

Hey all,

I have been developing stuff for older games where the polycount is restricted for ages, but recently after looking into UDK, starting up my own idea , and looking at other Unreal Engine games for reference as to what the max polycount for anything should be, I have become abit overwhelmed with the ammount of polygons used in some things.

I wanted to start a debate or atleast a discussion about the subject based on my findings to see what everyone else thinks is the ideal count for various objects ingame , their maximum count, not something that everything should be , just the maximum you should allow yourself to have for each item.

Character Parts

Head:3000
    Torso:3000
    Arms:3000
    Legs:4000

Vehicles
    :12000

Weapons
    :3000

Various Items
    :2000

So for the character 13 000 Polygons is acceptable?

Comment

the character polygon count was done using the krall polycount from UT3, when researching each body part was around 3800 polygons apart from the torso, which I found quite crazy.

The vehicle count was taken from the Leviathan from UT3, and the other counts where taken from the weapons and various other items ingame.

Normal Human based characters where roughly around 7-16000 polys depending on what they where used for and what their character class was, for instance the Necris female model was 19.000 polys at her highest LOD,LOD`s obviously will play a big part in any game that wants to get the most out of details.

Other Necris characters seemed to have alot of polygons in them too.

Comment

the less poly, the better performance. (you need to middle between the two factors, for the game project. If you need high speed gameplay, use lower polycounts, if needing lower speed gameplay, use higher polycounts. It's project dependent.)

As for avarage as used in current games, between 2000 and 5000 poly for a character is normal. (using normal/occlusion/etc mapping techniques to mimique high poly details)

Comment

I've been keeping most characters around 10k. Some games have characters up to 20k.

Comment

I remember on CG society when they were talking about the unreal 3 engine and they were talking about polygons. They came up with figures like 20k for characters, 12k for weapons...I can't remember the rest.

Here it is - http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...id=4346&page=2

Comment

I'll answer the question "What polycount?" with two more questions:

1) What type of game are you making?
              2) Will your game be polycount limited?

Comment

It.. depends.
                All below is theorycrafting based on reading and my personal thoughts.Essentialy you dont need to much worry about StaticMeshes. They are rendered once per scene and instanced all over the rest. Scaling, Rotating, and transforms are easy to calculate. Still each mesh have seprate lightmaps and might have separate materials. Which consuming rendering power anyway.

As for characters 20k polygons is overhaul. There is no problem for engine to render few such characters at once but... More polygon character have is much more to smooth animate it, and most player will never notice any diffrents between 20k poly character and 10k poly. Really in any shooter-like games there is no time to look for details, in Action-RPG playars usually focus on killing stuff and would like to put resources more ton enemies than on main character.

Also I dont see much point on giving head extra poly. But it really depends on what are you going to do. But in TPS, FPS, strategies, even Action-RPG that focus more on action there is no point to waste poly on head. It's better to do shiny-bigga-gun.

Anyway I Would keep my characters from 7 to 12k poly. 7k poly for naked base model and 12k for shiny-armored uber-killer, that poeple run away on sight.

Comment

i'm not sure polygons are even something to really be all that concerned about, like we were a few years back. consider that modern video cards are highly tuned polygon and texture pushing machines .. I think it's more the effects stuff that one needs to worry about these days .. when you're applying lots of affects on a huge resolution display, things might get a little hairy.. I don't even HAVE a modern video card, but I get pretty surprisingly high framerates in things when full screen effects are turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                    i'm not sure polygons are even something to really be all that concerned about, like we were a few years back. consider that modern video cards are highly tuned polygon and texture pushing machines .. I think it's more the effects stuff that one needs to worry about these days .. when you're applying lots of affects on a huge resolution display, things might get a little hairy.. I don't even HAVE a modern video card, but I get pretty surprisingly high framerates in things when full screen effects are turned off.
                    I Second that.

It's all up to you or the artist. You can come up with 3k model and normal map or 18k and don't see that much of difference. Shaders, particles, physics or other effects matters. Not really the polycount ( especially for characters). The lower you can get the better it is.

Comment

I don't mean to say, obviously, that it doesn't matter at all, of course .. but it's not really something that is probably worthy of paying a whole lot of attention to like it was a few years ago. Unless, of course, you're shooting for a lower system requirement. Although you'd be surprised at how well things run even when you're throwing a whole lot of polys at even an older video card. My X850 can run Crysis at maximum details on DX9, as long as the texture quality is knocked down some -- it doesn't have the memory availability or bandwidth to throw Crysis full detail textures around with anything resembling speed ..

Comment

Working...
                      X