Unique Art Styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique Art Styles

I am considering testing very experiemental and unique art style for ingame gameplay I have 3 examples I want to test:

This style which was in Prince of Persia 2008 seems to combine surreal and realistic art style.

2.Madworld

A very art styles that can be done to me in thought just in textures I assume.

3.I would like to see if I could use the animation style that was in a scene in Kill Bill Vol.1 where their was extra lines in the characters that added extra depth to the characters.

Which is defiantly a long shot but may be possible(in thought it does).

Does anyone have a thought on how or ways to accomplish these artistic feats?

Just by creating your textures in the wanted style gets you a long way. Sketchy looking borders (image no. 1) might need some material/post process/code magic, but you will get a long way with just original looking textures.

Comment

The PoP-technique you're looking for is called "Cell Shading".

Comment

i thought the final look had to be done in coding of some sort

Comment

camera effects ?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbyh View Post
            camera effects ?
            explain what you mean exactly please

Comment

post proces effects applied on camera to give a stylized look.

ยจ Producing post processing effects, including real-time camera-based effects such as depth of field, motion blur, and color adjustment is possible.

so if you can do that, then you can use such things to give the look and feel of a stylized environment & char.

Comment

It's a combination of material and post process effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                  i thought the final look had to be done in coding of some sort
                  Not necessarily, but some of that outline stuff can only be calculated in code of some sort I think. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski View Post
                    Not necessarily, but some of that outline stuff can only be calculated in code of some sort I think. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
                    A form of shell shading would work just dandy wouldn't it?

Comment

Why don't you guys grab the source files for Dungeon Defense? That game is cel-shaded and you can port it to your projects.

Comment

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated3.htm

Last section at the bottom of that page outlines how to do cel-shade. The top picture is the ink outline, the bottom picture is the cel-shade.

I think the ink does work better when done in code though. I couldn't get the ink portion of the shader to work that well, and I know Borderlands did it with code.

Edit: Good call on the Dungeon Defense. I think they use an ink shader that might work better than the one in the Hourences tutorial.

Comment

Yeah, but Borderlands did it well by "telling" the engine to outline individual shaders for specific materials.

Kind of a mix of Post Process Effects and cel-shading with a lot of different materials on each object...

The cel-shading in Hourences' tutorial is great, but it doesn't really start to shine until models get more complex otherwise your outlines will be very basic. Also, don't even try to use that technique on terrain, as the bulk of the terrain will render as just shiny black with some highlights. I guess that would be a unique art style in its own right, lol

In borderlands, they got just as much "line drawing" with simpler meshes, thus increasing performance. The above method would have to be done either with a lot of LODs to keep distant models simple, or some of the line drawing would have to be a part of the material itself (Diffuse) which would probably work fine for most things anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X